So, we’ve been ‘working’ on our flash project all night, and have not made a whole lot of progress.

Despite having put time into this for the past week, we haven’t gotten a whole lot done, and even the simplest task of making a frame not play to another is impossible, nevermind anything past that.

Unfortunately, the directions on the blog and on the sheet we were given aren’t quite specific enough, and the tutors, as nice as they have been, can’t help because they have very minimal knowledge with Flash.

Thus leaving us with a bit of a predicament on our hands.

I guess I was just curious if we’re the only ones having trouble with this?

Two weeks just doesn’t seem like enough time to create something even remotely substantial with a program we’ve had two hours of experience with. Especially with finals looming and term papers for other classes raising their heads, it’s hard to do four hours of work on something without producing any results.

Argh.

=/

-Elliot

2 thoughts on “Flash Project Woes.

1. I agree with most of what you are saying. There is a limited scope of what we can do in flash (which is fine, i understand we’re not expected to create something technically amazing) but this assignment has taken longer than any of the others, and we still have a night of finishing ahead of us.

2. I feel like, with the other projects at least there was an easier program available to use. Instead of Final Cut Pro, we could use iMovie, and the sound editing software wasn’t difficult to use at all. If all else failed we could ask a tutor or one of our classmates for help.

With Flash, the tutors can’t help us, and out classmates can’t help us, so if we’re stuck, there’s really no one to turn to. We were given two hours of minimal knowledge of the program and then assigned to do an open-ended project. Maybe if we had to do something more specific it would be easier, I don’t know.

I don’t think this is an “I don’t want to do this” sort of feeling at the moment. Right know I feel like it’s unfeasible to finish a project of this scale. Like Mica said last night, it’s like being taught five words of Spanish and then being told to write a paper. It’s just an unreasonable demand considering, as Elliot pointed out, the time constraints, final project, and other class work we have to do.

It’s not like I don’t understand how Flash can change the interface of a medium. I do! We have a project idea, we just don’t know how to use the program. So as far as theory goes, we’re all set. I just don’t see how we can get it to work in practice.

I’m sure I’ll see you all tonight in the media lab.