You can all breath a sigh of relief – this is the longest possible time before we have to run paging slips again!
1. If you are searching for an item from a hold slip and you can’t find said item, please go into the patron record, go to the holds tab, and cancel the hold, choosing the “cancel hold and change status to missing” option. This is important because it a) informs the patron that our copy is missing and b) lets them request it via NExpress or ILL.
2. Before DVDs go back to the shelves, please make sure their cases are locked!
Now that Breadloaf is starting up, it is time to start running the paging slips every morning (and probably evening, too). If you need a refresher, here is the link. Books to be picked up at Breadloaf will go in the bin near Janine’s desk.
As you have all noticed by now, paging and retrieval is in full swing! Lots of questions yesterday about correct procedure for processing, so here is a (not so) brief overview, all you ever wanted to know about paging slips! :-).
Please refer questions/concerns to Kellam or Dan. Thanks!
Retrieving library materials to fill requests for NExpress, ILL, MiddCampus, Davison (Breadloaf), Mills (California) etc.
* Process paging slips in the Mill Circ Notice system (mnotices/mnotices) A minimum of 3 times daily – morning, early afternoon, and evening – or more frequently to ensure timely request processing and delivery
* Davis Family Stacks: In the absence of Stacks, ILL will retrieve; if ILL unable to pick up by 2 pm, Circ will retrieve
* Incorporate BLSE/Davison Library requests into existing Midd, NExpress, and ILL paging and retrieval workflow
* BLSE requests have priority over main campus hold requests
* NExpress requests have top priority over everything
* Check daily that items for Bread Loaf/Davison Library are not placed on the Davis Family Library hold shelf (especially critical this year due to the Davis Family Libary name change at Main)
* Sort all paging slips by branch location and type of request (Midd or NExpress)
* Place all pending requests in clear sleeve on red NExpress cart in ILL work area
* Fax paging slips to branches for retrieval
Armstrong fax – 2016
Music fax – 2332
* Branches: items for BL borrowers will go in transit when scanned at branches; send to Davis Family Library in courier bin; scan/check in at the Davis Family Library; place items in Davison bin.
* For items being held at main campus locations – follow standard procedures and check in to generate hold or transit status
* Double check pick-up location – do not use borrower address on paging slip as pick-up location
Davison Requests Workflow
* Sort out all requests going to BLSE
* Retrieve items
* Check carefully for pick-up location – some BL borrowers may request pick-up at other locations
* Do not send items for pick-up at Davis Family Library (or Arm or Mus) to Davison
* Fold paging slip in half lengthwise, insert into book. Place in Davison courier bin for delivery to Davison hold shelf – items will have “in transit” status (leave paging slip in item; you do not need to print transit slip – items will be scanned in and a hold slip printed at pick-up location)
* Items that cannot be requested through the web: On reserve; In-lib-use and non-circulating collections; items with hold location Davison Library (BL borrower may retrieve from shelves; priority is given to BL borrowers for Davison materials; exceptions can be made by Circ staff through the Mill Circ client); Checked-out – do not recall if at all possible – advise borrower to place a request through NExpress or ILL if unavailable
* Requested through NExpress by borrower
* NExpress requests for delivery to Davison will be delivered to Davis Family Library Circ with all other ILL and NExpress materials
* Davis Family Library Circ will separate out Davison items; follow standard procedure for scanning and dating
* Place in transit to Davison
* Requested through ILLiad by borrower with a pick-up location of Davison
* ILL requests for delivery to Davison will be delivered to Davis Family Library Circ for scanning/check-in with all other ILL and NExpress materials
* Davis Family Library Circ will separate out Bread Loaf items; follow standard procedure for scanning and verifying item records etc.
* Place hold on Bread Loaf ILL items @ Davis Family Library Circ in patron record (verify that you are in the correct borrower account) and stamp/write today’s date on green band (so we can track when it was placed on the hold shelf at Davison). When the item is checked in to generate the hold, it will then go in-transit up to Davison. Place it in the bin for Davison.
* Borrower will be notified by ILLiad e-mail and Millennium email (once it is checked-in at Davison).
Requests not filled:
* Not on shelf – missing: Call up by barcode in search/hold. Verify that you are in the correct record. Click on hold tab. Highlight hold. Select option to cancel hold. Select option to cancel hold and mark missing. Select appropriate cancellation notice. Requester will be notified through the notice system
CMC: Curriculum Materials Collection *Non-circulating: Refer to Education Studies Dept, Twilight Hall for exceptions
CSO: Career Service Office
Music and Armstrong Requests
* Sort and fax paging slips to branches for retrieval
* Retrieve and check in at branch to generate transit status. Send item to Davis Family Library for delivery to Davison
* Requests from the branches will arrive in the courier bins for delivery to Davison
Items requested for pickup at Mills – Summer session only
* Any paging slip with a pickup location of Mills should follow this procedure
* If item is not on shelf, a standard cancellation notice will be generated by Main Circ and the item status will be changed to “missing”
* If item is on shelf, item is pulled, and then checked in, which will put the item in transit to Mills. Paging slip is placed in the item.
* Circ will cancel the hold using the new Mills hold cancellation notice. This will alert the patron at Mills that the item will be shipped to them shortly.
* Item is placed RUSH on Cataloging shelf @ Main Circ
(Circ’s involvement ends at this point; CM and LS Liaison evaluate item for transfer or ILL; if replacement item is available, item will be transferred to the Midd at Mills campus collection; Cataloging will edit and mask bib record; add 949 field – which creates an item record at Mills; item will be visible in client (loc omill), but not in MidCat; ILL will ship; if replacement item is not available, SKIP step 3; item will be processed as an ILL, shipped by ILL, and returned to Midd campus
* Meet Bread Loaf courier to exchange incoming/outgoing bins
* May or may not have been checked in @ Davison Library
* Check in @ Davis Family Library to clear transit status
* Continue to transit to branches
* Re-shelve TO CORRECT HOLDING AREA/BRANCH
Davison Library Reserves
* If returned to Main Campus, please send back up to Davison immediately
Courier Schedule between Davis Family Library and Davison
* Mon – Fri: Approximately 9:30 am (leaves BL at 9 am) and 2:00 pm (leaves BL at 1:30 pm)
* Sat and Sun: Approximately 9:30 am (leaves BL at 9 am)
Deliver bins IMMEDIATELY to the back SHIPPING & RECEIVING AREA when the BL courier calls the Main Circ Desk
Open & meet the courier at the shipping/garage door and trade incoming/outgoing bins
For more detailed info about Bread Loaf/Davison Library procedures check here.
As of right this minute, requesting of available items has been turned back on. “What does this mean for me?” you might be asking. I’m glad you asked. It means that we (circulation) need to run the paging slips every morning. The procedure is pretty much the same as the NExpress paging slips, and can be found here.
A reminder that – effective today – web requesting for materials with available status has been turned off for on-campus borrowers. Please be aware that we may still receive requests for help with locating and retrieving materials – both in person, by email and by phone. Please assist and help as needed.
As always, if an item is reported missing, please place a hold on it for the borrower, then search for it. If found, check it in to generate the hold, print hold slip, and place on hold shelf. If not found, cancel the hold in Mill Circ, change status to missing, and send a cancellation notice to the requester.
LP’s and oversize VHS (Umatic) will have to be retrieved by Circ staff from “closed” stacks.
Persons with disabilities who are unable to read spine labels or to reach books in the stacks may still place a request with Circulation Services to have items retrieved from the shelf. Please keep in mind that disabilities may not always be obvious – a person with disabilities should not have to explain why they need assistance.
Please refer questions and concerns about this change in requesting policy to a Circ supervisor. Feel free to be in touch with me with any questions.
Thanks for always being helpful. 🙂
It’s not the end of the world – just the end of retrieval services.
As of October 1, you’ll notice that the “place request” button in MidCat no longer displays for materials with an “available” status. Due to decreased staffing resources, Circulation will no longer be able to retrieve requested materials from library stacks for on-campus borrowers.
While it was a valued service for our on-campus borrowers, a large amount of staff time was used to fill the many requests, time that must now be redirected towards core Circulation services.
We’re very happy to help show you how to find library materials on your own – just ask! Thanks for your understanding.
Please note a new pick up location for our Language Schools at Mills College in California when paging requests.
Here is a summary of the workflow:
1. Patron logs in to Midcat at Mills, places a request to be picked up in California
2. Paging slip is generated here and sorted by Main Circ.
3. Item is retrieved
4. Item is checked in, which will generate a new hold pickup notification telling the patron that the item is on the way and may be picked up at Mills Circ when they are notified by Mills’ system.
5. If item is not available, a standard cancellation notice will be generated (refer to Circ supervisor to cancel request if not found)
6. Place item on Cataloging shelf @ Circ
7. Item will go to Collections Management, where it will be processed for Mills in the regular manner, then shipped out by ILL.