New WordPress themes available
The following themes are now available in sites.middlebury.edu and sites.miis.edu.
- WordPress plugin updates:
- WPtouch Mobile
- Schedule Posts Calendar
- Resize Image After Upload
- Post Types Order
- NextGen Gallery
- MailPoet Newsletters
- Email Users
- CM Tooltip Glossary
- Blog ID In Site Admin Menu
- We’ve been noticing periodic stability issues with the web-server that hosts the GO application. We anticipate that these issues will be resolved by an upcoming system update.
Tweaks and Fixes
Fixed a broken view that was preventing
I am so pleased to announce that Zach Schuetz and Brett Wells have been promoted from Computing Specialist 2 to Senior Technology Specialist. Both Zach and Brett have earned their promotions by demonstrating leadership and initiative, each taking on projects and challenges and finding solutions to ongoing issues that have resulted in improved processes for ITS. Brett and Zach are outstanding examples of one of ITS’ organizational values:
“3.Teamwork – no room for I don’t need to worry about that, that’s not my job. Trust and value the team to be accountable for team’s results, not just your own. Help find solutions to known issues, take the initiative, collaborate with colleagues, reach out to managers if need be but not by throwing colleagues under the bus. Offer and take advantage of peer review, be open to other’s ideas, share your knowledge – teach. Value different skills sets. Don’t be afraid to commit to a goal that makes you dependent on your colleagues.”
Please join me in congratulating Zach and Brett on their well-deserved promotions.
Wednesday, April 15th 5:35
The issue with Outlook has been resolved. We apologize for any inconvenience.
Wednesday, April 15th 5:00 PM
We are experiencing a problem with Outlook email that effects approximately 25% of users. We are investigating the cause and will update this alert when more information is available. Webmail or OWA is working.
Write Your Thesis with Scrivener
Wednesday, April 29th
Are you working on a large writing project? Scrivener can help! Scrivener is a software program that breaks down your writing into manageable “chunks,” and brings your research and writing together into a single conceptual workspace.
The library will offer a Scrivener workshop on April 29th at 4:30p.m. Participants will learn how to create a new writing project, how to import existing work, and how to outline, research, and write with Scrivener’s unique features. This workshop is aimed at thesis writers but is open to all members of the College community. For more information on Scrivener and to sign up for the workshop, visit go.middlebury.edu/scrivener.
Multi-File Uploads in Drupal
Thanks to some assistance from our colleagues at Amherst, we’re almost ready to allow multiple files to be uploaded into a File Upload content type in Drupal again. Please try out this feature on our development copy of the site and let us know if you run into any issues. It works just like uploading files does now, except that you can select multiple files when you click the Browse button. We hope to have this feature enabled in production this month.
Files on ‘user’ Pages
Back in 2009-2010, while we were still setting up the Middlebury site and getting used to Drupal, it was possible to upload files to your personal “user” page, rather than your site’s hidden File Uploads page. We’re removing the otherwise unused “user” pages, which aren’t used for anything else and take up a lot of space in the database. There were still about 170 files on those pages, so we moved those files to the appropriate department or office site. If you see a sub-page of your site’s File Uploads page with someone’s name on it, that’s where that came from.
Tweaks and Fixes
- The Email share button on thewip.net was not working because we needed to add that domain to the allowed domains list for MIIS’s reCAPTCHA API key. If there are other WordPress domains that desire to use the Email share button aside from middlebury.edu, miis.edu, or thewip.net, please let us know.
- Images in File Upload nodes where the Link URL field was not blank in the Carousel were hidden. We’ve fixed this so that the images are shown.
- We have removed photos from the MIIS header, except on the homepage, and constrained the header width to 960px. This is part of an ongoing effort to do some work refreshing elements of that site’s design.
- We have improved the performance of permissions-saving and deleting in Drupal. If you noticed problems with these in the past, they should now be resolved.
During our regular maintenance window this Sunday, April 12th we have the following activities scheduled:
- Middfiles will be patched to the latest vendor software release
- Between 7:30am and 9:00am there will be two short service outages, together totaling up to 15 minutes
- This will include the ORGS directories, user home directories, and all class folders
- EZProxy will be updated to the latest vendor software release
We appreciate your patience as we continuously strive to keep our systems functioning optimally.
ITS – Central Systems & Network Services
Library Systems will be performing necessary security upgrades to the EZproxy server on Sunday morning during regularly scheduled downtime (6 am to 10 am) on 4/12/2015.
There will be no off-campus access for the Library’s subscription databases, e-books, and e-journals during this time. There will be intermittent access interruptions on campus, too. I expect the whole process to last no more than one hour. I apologize for any inconvenience.
This should be done by 10 am.