As some of you may have heard, Midd-Standard will become extinct on Monday 1/25. This means a couple of things for circ:
1. We can no longer give guests the Midd-standard password. Well, we can, but it would be useless to them and they’d probably get mad. Instead, direct them to this page: https://cpauth.middlebury.edu/guest/portal.php?url=https://cpauth.middlebury.edu/%3f&_browser=1 where they can create a quick guest account.
Go/guestwelcome/, go/guestwireless/, and go/wirelesswelcome/ will all take people to the page above.
2. The student laptops will no longer automatically connect to Midd-Standard. However, thanks to our good friends int he Helpdesk, they will now magically connect to Middlebury College wireless MAGICALLY without an Ethernet cord! The Dells that are currently out will need to connect once WITH the Ethernet, so we’ll need to catch those when they come back. Along with a few Macs, but I put a note in those records.
3. Faculty laptops will technically no longer need to login with the Ethernet at the desk. In real life, though, we should still have them login (and for now, WITH the Ethernet, since I didn’t go through all of those and make sure they were updated with the change) to make sure things are working before they fly to Burma. But within a few weeks, we should be able to get rid of the cord.
4. iPads will not connect to Midd-standard, so anyone using them (us included) will need to actually login to Middlebury College.
Let me know if you have questions.
Upon check in, log in as yourself
In the upper right corner, click on the magnifying glass to search.
Type in Self Service, then enter
It should default to “Loaners” (in the menu on the right), and there should be three items in the folder. (Adobe, Express delete, and OS). Apply all three things.
Shut down the computer
Following up on Nate’s email, there is now a new procedure for wiping the Mac laptops. It can be found in the wiki here.
There is now a procedure in place for wiping PCs of user accounts much the way we do for Macs. The procedure is posted at the counter, and can also be found in the wiki! http://mediawiki.middlebury.edu/wiki/LIS/Re-imaging_circulating_laptops
Please make any future changes to these procedures via the wiki.
If you are having trouble logging in to a Mac, try this before sending it to the Helpdesk:
1. Login as loaner/loaner
2. Connect to Midd-standard (password: Middlebury-wireless)
3. Logout and back in as yourself
One week into Language schools and we are out. There is a pile of Dell laptops only (no cases or accessories) on the top shelf of the cabinet. These can go out the same way as the others, along with a power adapter (also on the top shelf). Once those go, encourage people to book online.
We already have summer faculty asking to take laptops out for the entire summer. The answer is no. We can provide them for two weeks. When we run out, there is a small reserve of laptops we can dip into, but at that point we should encourage patrons to book (or offer to book for them) laptops when they are returned. The Helpdesk also does not have any available to lend out, so we have been asked not to send patrons to them. Please direct all resistant patrons to Dan.
We have NEW procedures for faculty staff laptops – please stay tuned for updates and training on changes to procedure for check-out and check-in of Faculty/Staff Mac and PC laptops.
In the meantime there are TWO very IMPORTANT things to tell borrowers:
Log in with your Midd username and password WHILE ON CAMPUS (the “loaner” username and password is going away and borrowers must use their own log-in and they must log-in WHILE ON CAMPUS if they will be using the laptop off-campus)
By logging in once while on campus, they can then log off and on as needed when off campus.
All personal data will BE DELETED upon return (borrowers need to save to campus folders or other personal storage devices)
ALL LAPTOPS MUST BE RE-IMAGED BEFORE CIRCULATING AGAIN
After check-in, please leave all laptops on the equipment work counter for re-imaging BEFORE placing back in the laptop storage closet.
Elin and Kellam