Assistant Researcher at the William Montague Cobb Research Laboratory
“I think it is very important to introduce diversity in the various databases on the human genome. Many of the original genome projects centered on European-descended populations and this project is one of the first steps to unlocking questions like “Why are Black women 243% more likely to die in childbirth (compared to White women”? Or “Why are African Americans prone to hypertension, diabetes, etc.?”
How did you find your internship? Dr. Jeremy Ward.
What was your work like? One of the main projects I worked on was Petrous Bone Extraction of the bones in the William Cobb Collection. William Montague Cobb was the first African American to get an MD/PhD and went on to found a lab. He studied over 100 African Americans who died between the 1930s and 1960s and conducted autopsies on each of the individuals. My research included extracting over 200 petrous bones–a dense region on the side of the skull next to the ear canal–in order to sequence the DNA of the individuals who passed. After extracting the petrous bone, we found susceptibility genes for the diseases the individuals died from. Among the diseases were tuberculosis, diabetes mellitus, atherosclerosis, and more. A lot of the diseases are still the main cause of death of Blacks today. After the DNA is sequenced, we cross matched their genes with the susceptibility genes to see if there were matches. In the future, we will be able to address the weaknesses that may or may not have to do with our genetic codes. Ideally, we will be able to have prenatal testing where we identify these genes and advocate a healthy lifestyle that will suppress the likelihood of these diseases manifesting and taking the lives of our people.
How did CCI help you find this opportunity? Funding, advising, moral support, EVERYTHING!
What advice do you have for Middlebury students looking for an internship? Think outside the box! Don’t think that the organized programs are the only internships you have available to you…there are countless others you can make up or find anywhere.
What was the most rewarding aspect of your work? Being surrounded by black scholars.
And to add to this question from Megan’s interview in the Cobb’s Corner News: Seeing people in positions of power in STEM that are Black is what I will cherish the most. Carter [Clinton, Assistant Curator] is a great example as well, with both of us being from Brooklyn. I’m reading a book by Elaine Welteroth called More Than Enough: Claiming Space for Who You Are (No Matter What They Say) where she mentions that it is “important to leave signposts along the journey of success for those that come behind you.” I believe there will be another young girl like me who is obsessed with science like me but needs a role model to show her that women and people of color can succeed. I really want to be that guiding light just like this experience has illuminated my journey.
Did you have a mentor that helped you get to where you are today? If so, who? Jeremy Ward, Susan DeSimone, and much much much more.
Interested in getting help with summer internships? Come meet with one of the Peer Career Advisors (go/pcas) to learn more about how to search for internships, and how to apply for funding.
Are YOU interested in being in the Internship Highlights? Tell us about your internship experience here.
Mobile App Development at TipHero
I’m a Middlebury grad (’97) and co-founded a company called TipHero. We have 20 million Facebook fans, over 1 million Instagram followers, and are looking to expand our reach with a mobile app.
We’re looking for someone with mobile app development experience to help us update and maintain our app going forward. Likely the bulk of the work initially will be making updates to the app, as it has not been maintained for several months, and then ongoing maintenance work with the possibility of developing additional features.
The opportunity is great for someone looking to gain experience working with a mobile app with real users and having to manage an app as it scales its userbase, as the app has generated over 100,000 downloads. This is remote work and can be done on your own time / your own hours.
The app is called “TipHero” and you can download it from the major app stores for free.
Learn more and apply on Handshake. Application deadline is January 31, 2020
Learn more and apply on Handshake – Application deadline is January 31, 2020
Are you passionate about doing great work? Do you have unique perspectives that could help us become a better team? Do you want to enjoy coming into work every day? Then you might be a great fit for the summer internship on HubSpot’s Marketing Team! HubSpot puts customers at the forefront of everything we do. The work that our marketing team does has a dramatic impact on the lives of our customers around the globe; and our interns have the opportunity to have the same significant impact. Specifically, you’ll have the chance to join one of our primary marketing groups as a key contributor for the summer. Successful candidates are analytical, creative, passionate, intellectually curious and have a hunger for growth. This internship runs June-August 2020 as a full-time, paid position in our Cambridge, MA office headquarters.
Final Application Deadline: January 31, 2020
This internship is your opportunity to explore the life of a marketer at HubSpot. In fact, our best interns never consider themselves as “interns” at all! We want independent thinkers who are prepared to take on serious responsibilities. This internship is a major learning experience on the ins-and-outs of a high-growth company and provide the knowledge and well-rounded skill set that you’d need in a future full-time role.
As an intern, you will join one of our marketing groups as an individual contributor AND work collaboratively with other interns across the Marketing team on a business project. What type of work might you do? Check out our dynamic marketing teams below:
- Global Go-To-Market Team – We execute on global marketing campaigns and analyze the results to determine effectiveness and success. Made up of a number of different teams, we think about how to strategically move metrics like usage and revenue. You would learn how a flywheel business works and how and why customers fuel a flywheel company, and how to run targeted marketing campaigns to customers and agency partners alike. This is also the team where we’re transforming the HubSpot business to become a platform based company.
- Brand & Editorial Team – Made up of our Editorial, Product Marketing, Creative and Academy teams, we help inform the world about HubSpot through editorial channels and product education. We work on content creation and analysis to prep product launches for both external audiences (prospects, analysts) and internally to fellow HubSpotters (sales, customer success, support).
- Acquisition Team – We think about acquiring new customers through various channels and running experiments to maximize effectiveness for each distribution channel. “How can we grow our audience through strategic lead generation initiatives?”, for instance.
- INBOUND Team – We own the planning and execution for our annual INBOUND event. Each year INBOUND celebrates the helpful, human side of doing business, bringing together thousands (24k+ in 2019) of the world’s leading business-minded professionals for a week of learning, inspiration and networking.
So … what might you do during an internship at HubSpot? We discover that fit during the interview process. We’ll ask you questions to get a sense for your current skills and interests. From there we’ll match your superpowers with the team where we think you will excel and learn the most at HubSpot.
Additionally, throughout the summer, we’ll offer:
- Executive Lunch & Learns
- Mystery Dinners
- Intern Outings
- Personal Mentorship
- INBOUND2020 Attendance
- Access to HubSpot perks including: on-site gym, smoothie bar, coffee barista, and more!
Individuals that are interested in full time opportunities within HubSpot’s Marketing team following their internship are able to be evaluated for the team’s entry level role, Leadership Rotational Program.
Curious if you’re a fit? Here are some of the skill sets that some of our teams look for:
- Marketing excites you and you want to learn more.
- You love to write.
- You are analytical and have a thing for data.
- You are ambitious and you work hard.
- You are detail-oriented and quadruple check your work.
- You are a do-er who loves fast-paced environments.
- You have HEART*.
- You bring well rounded & diverse knowledge and experience to the table.
- Commitment to growing your leadership skills.
- Currently enrolled undergraduate student, through August 2020.
- Thoughtfully written cover letter including links to your social media
- Full-time availability in Cambridge, MA from June to August 2020
As an inbound sales intern, you’ll join our team of Inbound Success Coaches and use a combination of analytical thinking, sales and customer service skills to ensure all prospects receive the fastest, highest quality, first interactions with HubSpot. You’ll make use of cross-functional resources and develop your knowledge of the HubSpot platform to recommend the appropriate products, services and solutions to address a range of customers needs.
If you’re excited about new challenges and seeking an opportunity to develop your sales skills and business acumen at a leading tech company, we’d love to hear from you! This paid, 12 week summer internship includes superb training and provides a unique opportunity to kick-start your career within the HubSpot’s sales organization.
On successful completion of this summer internship, you’ll also be considered for full-time opportunities in 2021 following your graduation.
Applications will be accepted until 5:00pm EST on Friday, January 31, 2020. In this role, you’ll get to:
- Develop an in-depth knowledge of the HubSpot platform and articulate its value to customers and users
- Conduct consultative pre-qualification of prospects for the HubSpot sales process and schedule appointments with the appropriate sales team members for Inbound Growth Assessments
- Navigate a high volume of HubSpot sales, customer and user inquiries, in a quick and efficient manner, to develop and maintain relationships with new and existing customers
- Collaborate cross-functionally within HubSpot to improve business processes and experiences for HubSpotters, HubSpot customers and users alike
- Recommend software best practices, identify and deliver the best next steps or resources to assist customers and users
- Become an ambassador of HubSpot Sales on your college/university campus after internship concludes
We’re looking for people who:
- Have fluency in English
- Are currently and will be enrolled in an undergraduate or masters degree program throughout duration of internship
- Are available to work full-time in our Cambridge headquarters from June to August 2020
- Can quickly learn new technologies, tools and systems to help our users succeed with HubSpot software
- Have the initiative to find the resources needed to be successful in this role and the ability to work collaboratively to solve problems
- Are confident communicators and can tailor messaging and articulate value, be it by phone, live chat or email
- Thrive in a fast-paced environment and have a clear desire and commitment to develop a career in sales
Application Deadline: January 31, 2020
- Customer Liaison – Entry/Mid-Level
- Digital Network Exploitation Analyst – Entry/Mid-Level
- Cryptanalytic Computer Scientist – Entry/Mid-Level
- Software Engineer – Entry to Experienced Level
- Business Intelligence (BI) Technologist – Entry to Experienced Level
- Computer Systems Researcher – Entry to Experienced Level
- Data Scientist – Entry to Experienced Level
- Computer Scientist – Software Engineer/Cyber Developer – Entry to Experienced Level
Application deadline is February 17, 2020
As a Junior Data Architect, you will maintain the current coding structure and propose ways to enhance overall performance and ensure coding practices throughout the company comply with recognized standards. You will be using data science tools and frameworks along with scripting and automation tools using PowerShell or Python. You will manage and support projects and create technical documentation. You can take advantage of our in-house GEICO University to learn new technologies, languages, and soft skills. As being part of the team, you will also receive mentoring from management to take your knowledge and skills to the next level.
- Candidate Qualifications:
- Degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, Statistics, Mathematics, or related majors
- Overall cumulative GPA of at least 3.0
- Background in data analytics and/or statistics.
- Required Skills:
- Experience with scripting and automation using PowerShell or Python
- Experience with debugging skills.
- Experience with documentation writing.
- Databases and SQL.
- Experience with Data Science tools and frameworks.
- 1 – 2 years of experience with Python, R, C, Java.
- 1 – 2 years of experience with .NET C# programming.
- Experience with reporting system development.
Data Science Analyst – Application Deadline is February 26, 2020
Aetna, a CVS Health company, is the nation’s premier health innovation company helping people on their path to better health. We are building a new health care model that is easier to use, less expensive, and puts the consumer at the center of their care.
Who we are: Aetna’s Analytics & Behavior Change team supports the entire organization by embedding deep analytic insights into key decision processes and focusing on our biggest, most complex problems. We use advanced analytics tools, modeling and machine learning to generate insights by leveraging data within a cutting-edge petabyte-scale Hadoop environment. We’re focused on creating new opportunities that drive change in areas such as member behavior change, pricing, digital health, provider efficiency, clinical products/programs, and health care fraud detection and prevention.
Our goal is to make health care simpler, more affordable, and convenient. We are inspired to make a difference by connecting people to the information they need and helping our members feel the joy of achieving their best health in their own way. Our opportunities in Data Science are designed to enhance your personal and professional growth and build the skills that will lead you to success. Aetna Analytics has the feel of a fresh startup within a 165 year old company, and we’re looking for people who like solving tough challenges and are motivated by a desire to drive change.
- What you will do:
- Collaborate with Analytics teams and business partners to understand their goals and objectives
- Use programming skills to explore, analyze and interpret large volumes structured and unstructured data
- Utilize predictive modeling and statistical analysis to determine analytical approaches and evaluate scenarios as well as potential future outcomes• Generate insights connecting analytical results with business problems or objectives
- Present and provide recommendations to internal teams and stakeholders
- Support the design of programs/campaigns that will improve the quality of health care, lower costs, and help our members achieve their best health
- Required Qualifications :
- Experience with data science techniques including mathematical and statistical analyses, modeling and data visualization
- Knowledge of R, Python and SQL
- Excellent problem solving and critical thinking abilities
- Preferred Qualifications:
- Ability to communicate technical concepts and implications to peers, managers, and business partners
- Strong collaboration and communication skills within and across teams
- A passion to help transform health care
- Education :
- Currently pursuing a Bachelor’s degree with an anticipated graduation date between December 2019 and August 2020
- Required majors include Statistics/Biostatistics, Mathematics, Computer Science, Data Science/Health Data Science, Engineering
- 3.5+ cumulative GPA
After years of hype, carriers like AT&T and Verizon are giving consumers clarity on what their next-generation cellular networks will realistically do.
LAS VEGAS — Like many consumers, Kathryn Schipper, an attorney in Seattle, doesn’t have a landline. She relies on her smartphone for calls and videoconferencing, but reception is spotty.
So she is excited about the arrival of 5G, the fifth-generation wireless network that has been the subject of breathless speculation over the last few years. The new cellular standard, carriers have said, will reduce network congestion and pump out data so fast that smartphone users could download all the “Avengers” movies in a few minutes. It might even eventually help cars drive themselves.
“5G seems like orders-of-magnitude improvement,” Ms. Schipper said. “I’ve also heard it’s much more reliable, so that matters to me.”
Yet the shift to 5G feels like a tech revolution happening in slow motion. In 2019, AT&T and Verizon, the two largest American carriers, lit up their 5G networks in a small number of cities. Handset makers released only a handful of phones compatible with the new standard. The overwhelming majority of us saw no meaningful improvement to our cellular networks.
At CES, the big consumer electronics show in Las Vegas this week, the carriers are insisting that 2020 will be a turning point for 5G. AT&T and Verizon say they expect their 5G networks to be accessible nationwide this year. In addition, the carriers say at least 15 smartphones will be 5G compatible this year, more than triple the number last year.
“2020 is pivotal because you’ve got a good foundation built, and the ecosystem starts to form,” said Kevin Petersen, a marketing executive for AT&T.
So what does that even mean? A major technology shift is underway, which may have an impact on your personal technology in the coming years. And unlike its predecessors, 5G is complex and more confusing.
Excerpt taken from Brian X. Chen’s New York Times article. Read the entire article here.
The Northern Trust Rotational Development Program (RDP)-Technology Track is designed to develop the technical skills, business acumen, and leadership abilities of early career professionals.
During the 18 month program, participants will have the opportunity to perform meaningful assignments in various rotations while gaining a broader perspective, along with exposure to leadership of the different departments in their chosen career track. Rotations are selected based on the business need as well as the RDP member’s career interests, goals, and skills.
RDP Support and DevelopmentThe program provides participants with dedicated ongoing support and professional development opportunities that include:
- Two program mentors
- Monthly speaker series
- Learning & Development sessions
- Career Development opportunities
- Comprehensive orientation
- Social Events
- Access to RDP Alumni Network
Members of the Technology Track contribute to key IT initiatives designed to expose them to Northern Trust’s various technologies and systems, allowing them to accelerate their understanding of the bank’s underlying applications and architecture. Core rotations may be completed in application development, data management, enterprise support, infrastructure engineering, systems architecture, and security. Additional rotations will increase in complexity to promote fast-paced, progressive learning throughout the program and may allow for specialization in a specific technology.The Technology Track includes three 6-month rotations.Examples of potential responsibilities: (note: work varies by rotation and business need):
- Participate in all phases of full software development lifecycle
- Design, code, implement, and test new features and modules for trade processing systems
- Collaborate with business analysts to understand and translate product specifications
- Work with testing teams and business partners to support testing and fix defects
- Estimate work effort, schedules, milestones, risks and project status as it relates to product development
- Define m and identify risks associated with the use of technology for internal systems and hosted external systems
- Review and assess controls through established frameworks for third party risk assessments, application control assessments, infrastructure control assessments, and other due diligence initiatives
- Manage, streamline and automate deployment and build process of an internal or vended solution
- Create and continuously improve support documentation and transition new support requirements to resources
- Draw and write up detailed software design diagrams with use-cases for appropriate stakeholders
- Information Security Analyst
- Applications Analyst
- Middleware Analyst
- Mobile Development Analyst
- Data Scientist
- DevOps Engineer
- Site Reliability Engineer
Members of Northern Trust’s Rotational Development Program possess the following:
- Intermediate proficiency in programming – minimum of 3 courses completed
- Strong interest in technology and innovation
- Analytical, quantitative and problem solving skills
- A bachelor’s degree from a four-year college or university
- Knowledge and interest in Northern Trust and the financial services industry
- Computer Science
- Computer and Electrical Engineering
- Information Technology (IT)
- Management Information Systems
- Understanding of agile methodologies (i.e. Scrum, TDD, devOps)
- Familiarity with popular version control software (i.e. Git, TFS)
- Excellent problem solving and trouble-shooting skills
- Ability to work independently and adapt quickly to new technologies/systems
- Strong sense of personal courage (active meeting participant, asking for help, etc.)
After successfully completing the program, qualified Associates will apply for a role that best leverages the experiences they’ve gained throughout their rotations and meets their career interests. Participation in the Program is not guaranteed for any period of time, nor is it a promise of employment since participants are employed at will.
We do not/will not sponsor Intern Program candidates for work authorization, including H-1B petitions.
Complete stages 1, 2 and 3 to be considered for an in person interview.
Stage 1 – Online Application. Click on Apply for Job and complete your online application where we ask you for personal information, academic history and check your eligibility. After completing this stage satisfactorily you will receive an email invitation to complete Stage 2.
Stage 2 – Career eNTry online assessment. Take a brief online assessment so we can identify key skills and attributes important for working at Northern Trust. On passing the assessment you will receive an email invitation to complete Stage 3.
Stage 3 – On Demand Video Interview. You’ll be invited to record answers to a number of short interview questions. You may be asked about your knowledge of Northern Trust your strengths and your motivations to start your career with us.
Once you have completed all 3 stages a Recruiter will review all the information you have provided and contact you if you have been selected for an in person interview. Keep an eye on your email for the invitations, including your spam folders. Add email@example.com to your safe sender list. If you apply to more than one position you’ll only need to complete the assessment and on demand video interview once.
Good luck, we are looking forward to learning more about you.
About Northern Trust: Northern Trust provides innovative financial services and guidance to corporations, institutions and affluent families and individuals globally. With 130 years of financial experience and nearly 20,000 partners, we serve the world’s most sophisticated clients using leading technology and exceptional service.
Working with Us:As a Northern Trust partner, you will be part of a flexible and collaborative work culture, which has a strong history of financial strength and stability. Movement within the organization is encouraged, senior leaders are accessible, and you can take pride in working for a company that is committed to strengthening the communities we serve! We recognize the value of inclusion and diversity in culture, in thought, and in experience, which is why Forbes ranked us the top employer for Diversity in 2018. We’d love to learn more about how your interests and experience could be a fit with one of the world’s most admired and ethical companies. Build your career with us and apply today.
Application deadline is February 3, 2020
We are: Accenture Technology, the people who deliver the services and solutions that power our clients’ businesses. We are technology rainmakers, movers and shakers. Every day, we imagine the impossible and enjoy the thrill of making it happen. We help clients tackle their biggest business problems and unlock growth potential in the cloud. We keep things moving fast with over 200 intelligent cloud tools other groups don’t have. But we’re not stopping there. Since the cloud keeps evolving, our team does too. Which is why we give every cloud member the chance to learn from more than 4,000 certifications to keep on growing and keep on powering intelligent cloud solutions.
You are: A team player with an entrepreneurial mind. You step up and volunteer to take on challenges to solve technical problems. You’re okay starting out with initial theories, but you always drill in quick to test which ideas stand up to the challenges of the real world. You look closely at the way things work and often see a better approach to how it could be done. People depend on your professionalism to see a project through to completion. Emerging technologies and next-generation IT excite you –– and you’re ready to put that passion to work across many different types of client projects. You could also be excited to build solutions and are the technical liaison with our clients. You could help to solve business pain points, analytical problems and provide solutions that have substantial impact on client’s business. You are interested, willing, and able to learn new concepts and processes quickly. You think on your feet, and are a problem solver who offers a unique perspective to solve real world business problems through technology.
- Kick-start your career in our Technology Development Program to learn the latest technical skills
- Work closely with clients to come up with a strategy that meets their business needs and help them put a new cloud-based infrastructure into place – using migration assessments, automated tools and cloud application strategy
- Answer any client questions as they radically improve the management of data centers, networks and workplace services within a cloud infrastructure
- Build strong, working relationships with technology partners and platforms such as Amazon Web Services, Microsoft Azure, Office 365, Google, Cisco and ServiceNow
- Define complex technical requirements, configure, and test within leading business application packages such as SAP, Oracle, Salesforce, Workday or other leading software packages
- Create and deliver platform and custom-designed solutions for our clients’ most complex business and technology challenges
- Support multiple products within a platform, partnering closely with the product, user experience, network operations, and software development teams
- Develop and manage end-to-end platform project implementation plans to ensure on-time delivery for the client
Here’s what you need:
- Bachelor’s degree or Master’s degree in (with graduation date no later than September, 2020)
Bonus points if you:
- Major or minor in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or Software Engineering disciplines, Engineering, Information Systems, Decision Sciences, Mathematics, Statistics, Natural Sciences disciplines or Business Administration majors with technical proficiency
- Internship or academic experience with programming languages (Java, Perl, Python, Ruby), modern web technologies (Cloud, AI, Robotics, Angular), ERP software packages, or similar technical proficiencies
Apply on Handshake before January 22, 2020
This is your time to shine. Our software engineering interns are considered full time employees by their peers–in fact, you will be expected to contribute right away as a member of our Scrum teams for future releases. As the world leader in enterprise cloud computing, we release 3 new versions every year with close to 100 new features each release. You will write code that reaches millions of subscribers who use our applications everyday, work on our automated testing infrastructure, and craft the tools that provide real-time monitoring of our service. With such quick turnaround, we don’t want our interns to sit on the sidelines and enjoy the view– we want you to change the way our customers connect their business to the world!
- Contribute to our suite of automated tests and testing infrastructure
- Monitor and enhance performance capabilities
- Implement code fixes under the direction of software architects and senior developers
- Develop well-tuned code that may be included as part of our next software release
- Enrolled in sophomore year or higher at a college/university or any year at a graduate school
- Working towards a BS or MS in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering or related
- Academic or professional/internship experience with Java
- Understanding of object-oriented programming/design
- Working knowledge of HTML and web technologies
- Ability to quickly learn new technologies
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Be a self-starter and possess strong sense of self-motivation
- Coursework in SQL and relational database concepts
- Cloud Experience – AWS, Azure, Google Cloud Platform