Thursday, April 26 at 12:30 in ADK Library
Alex Alben is Washington State’s first Chief Privacy Officer, an office created by the state legislature in March of 2015. He coordinates privacy and data policy for the state and consults with the Governor and Legislature on technology issues impacting citizen privacy.
As a technology executive, Alex helped launch ESPN.com and ABCNews.com, and served for six years in senior management at RealNetworks. At the outset of his career, Alben served as a researcher for CBS News covering the 1980 Presidential campaign and went on to work for Mike Wallace at CBS Reports. In the 1990’s, Alben worked as an entertainment lawyer for Orion Pictures and Warner Bros. He was a candidate for the U.S. Congress from Washington State’s 8th Congressional District in 2004.
A graduate of Stanford University and Stanford Law School, Alben writes for The Seattle Times and other publications on the intersection of media, technology and politics. He is the author of Analog Days—How Technology Rewrote Our Future.
As one of only five Chief Privacy Officers in the country, Alex has initiated state-wide programs for enhanced privacy training, consumer education and “Privacy Modeling.” In March of 2017, Gov Tech Magazine named him one of the country’s top “Doers, Dreamers and Drivers” in state government.
Join us in the ADK Library for a small group career conversation. He’s available to talk to students about digital privacy, net neutrality, and exciting opportunities for both tech and non-tech students interested in careers in tech fields!
U.S. Senator Brian Schatz of Hawaii is currently hiring for an entry-level health policy staffer for his Washington, DC, office. This position has great potential for growth and promotion within the office, and it provides an opportunity to join a great work environment with a team of committed, experienced professionals. Applicants should have:
- a strong work ethic,
- an interest in improving lives through public policy,
- a demonstrated interest in health policy, and
- ties to Hawaii, preferably as a current/former resident of the state or through work experience related to the state.
The responsibilities for this position includes conducting policy research, drafting correspondence, writing memos to brief the senator, and performing administrative duties. This staff position is a member of the team who advises the senator on topics related to children and families, health, nutrition, seniors, veterans’ health, and women. This includes assisting with the senator’s work on the Senate Appropriations Committee (including its health subcommittee). The position also involves work in developing and promoting the senator’s legislation, and advancing policies that expand telehealth, improve public health, and achieve universal health coverage. The position reports directly to the senator’s chief legislative staffer on health care policy.
There is a strong alum connection to this position. Let me know if you’d like an introduction.
More details on Handshake here. Apply now!
General Dynamics is a global aerospace and defense company. Every day, people around the world depend on their products for their safety and security. They’re looking for talented, motivated individuals who want to become part of a company with a culture driven by diversity, innovation and agility.
GD has posted a number of great internships in Handshake – deadline April 30th. Check them out!
- Innovation Lab Technical Intern
- Intern, Technical (Seasonal)
- Intern, Developer
- Analyst, Information Security Intern
- Data Center Services, Engineering Support Intern
- Application Tester, Intern
and more! Search for General Dynamics in Handshake for a full list of opportunities.
Logic Supply is a global Industrial PC company building custom computers for harsh environments and the Internet of Things. Grounded by their core values and fueled by an innovative delivery model, they’ve achieved an annual growth rate of 25% over the last 14 years.
Check out their postings in Handshake:
- Data Operations Associate/New Graduate Role/Multiple Locations – deadline April 20th
- Software Engineering Internship – deadline April 30th
- Inside Sales Associate – deadline June 30th
- Technical Sales Representative – deadline June 30th
Tetra Tech is a leading provider of consulting and engineering services. The Company supports government and commercial clients by providing innovative solutions focused on water, environment, infrastructure, resource management, energy, and international development. With more than 16,000 associates worldwide, Tetra Tech’s capabilities span the entire project life cycle.
They currently have 4 postings in Handshake!
Application deadline May 1st.
Will you have a Bachelor’s Degree in a Life Science, Computer Science, or Business? Do you want to work at the interface of microbiology, computer science, molecular biology and clinical science? Would you like to translate insights from the human microbiome into novel therapies? If so, check out the employment opportunities at Finch Therapeutics!
There are 3 postings in Handshake:
NYC residents – check this out! Application deadline April 30th.
The City of New York has launched an innovative summer internship program for students interested in pursuing careers in the life sciences industry, providing an opportunity to work in a range of companies from early-stage startups to large pharmaceutical and biotech firms. Companies signed up to host so far include BioHealthWays, Celmatix, Chimeron Bio, Deerfield, Envisagenics, Flatiron Health, Kinnos, Lucerna, New York Stem Cell Foundation, Pfizer and Roivant Sciences.
Talented and dedicated college or graduate students can apply for science track or management track internships for summer 2018. Students enrolled in a New York City-based college or university or New York City residents enrolled in any college or university are eligible to apply. Eligible majors and areas of study include:
- Biomedical Engineering
- Computer Science / Data Science / Statistics
- Other life sciences / STEM fields
- Supply Chain / Operations
- Public Affairs
Internships are full-time 10 week paid positions starting in June 2018. Interns will be invited to participate in a range of exciting events including networking receptions, industry career panels, site tours, and will have opportunities to meet industry leaders and more.
Apply as early as possible, as they will be matching students with internship hosts on a rolling basis. Please note: As an applicant, you are not guaranteed a placement. Learn more in handshake.
Staple Health is a platform that care teams use to identify and predict patient outcomes and risk. The software combines clinical data with a proprietary dataset on social and commercial behaviors of individuals to provide insight into which patients may benefit from additional support, what specifically is driving their risk, and how best to engage them.
They are currently hiring a Software Engineering Intern – check out their post in Handshake:
Staple Health is seeking Computer Science students with a passion for simplifying healthcare data. At Staple Health, you will be given the opportunity to pursue a project improving one of three main areas of our production software stack, all critical to our future business:
- Data Processing and Storage – Refine a data processing pipeline to accurately and efficiently calculate complex patient outcome data received directly from a provider’s electronic medical records.
- Frontend Data Visualization – Improve clarity of data presentation and add functionality to a web application utilized by physicians and hospital staff to understand the results of Staple Health’s prediction algorithms and take meaningful action to help patients.
- RESTful Patient Data API – Allow Staple Health’s partners to access and integrate with our data sources via a modern RESTful HTTP API.
Staple Health is a fast growing startup. As an intern, you will experience all parts of our quickly growing codebase while being exposed to the immediate business need that your work serves. Ideal candidates will be fast learners, effective communicators, and experienced in multiple programming languages.
- Pursuing a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or other related fields.
- Clear understanding of how modern web applications are built, tested, and deployed.
- You have worked on personal projects and demonstrate an ability to write clear, readable software, and to quickly comprehend a new codebase.
- Bonus points for:
- Experience with statistical computing tools such as Pandas, Numpy, Tensorflow, Spark, etc.
- Knowledge of at least one cloud computing provider such as AWS, Google Cloud, Azure, etc.
Prepare for life after graduation with online business courses from Harvard Business School’s HBX Credential of Readiness (CORe) Program
- Take all 3 courses in tandem
- 15-20 hours per week
- Final Exam required
- Earn the Credential of Readiness
- $1,950 for 3-course program*
May 15th / 10 Weeks / Apply by May 7th
June 12th / 10 Weeks / Apply by June 4th
July 3rd / 8 Weeks / Apply by June 25th
APPLY to HBX CORe here.
Revature is looking for several passionate and ambitious Entry Level Software Engineers. They are a rapidly growing technology company that is focused on providing its Fortune 500 clients with the best software engineers in the country. Revature Software Engineers work with some of the top companies in the country, on projects that make a difference.
Interviews are starting now. Interested candidates are encouraged to apply immediately.
At Revature, it’s more than a job—they provide careers in technology. Their program gives you the next-gen skills needed to work at top companies, on projects that make a difference. Gaining the tools you need to be successful starts at Revature.
- BA/BS in Computer Science, IS or related field
- 0-3 years experience
- Working knowledge of Object Oriented Programming
- The passion and drive to expand your coding skills
- Outstanding communication skills to effectively collaborate with teams
- Solid foundational knowledge of SQL
- Familiarity with software development methodology and release processes
- Excellent problem solver
- Ability to relocate anywhere within the US
- Must be authorized to work in the US on a permanent basis