Are you interested in data analytics and up for a REALLY INTERACTIVE and dynamic summer internship in NYC? Then consider this highly competitive opportunity with Midd alumnus Rory Riggs ’75, who created and runs Locus Analytics. We’d love to see a Middlebury student there this summer!
Locus Analytics, a research firm in New York City, studies the network of relationships within the global economy. Locus has developed methods incorporating linguistics, complex systems, and graph theory for analyzing large, unstructured datasets. This methodology is used to model economic interactions at all scales, from small informal enterprises to major technology conglomerates. We have used our proprietary classification system to construct a database that indexes thousands of companies worldwide.
Interns collaborate in small teams, each tasked with projects and assigned a mentor from the Locus team. In previous summers, interns have pursued a wide variety of projects and questions designed around their skill sets. These have included creating standardized profiles of zip codes based on their makeup of economic functions and census data, developing data visualization prototyping tools, and clustering and classification machine learning projects. This is a unique opportunity to help build a project from the beginning — each team is entrusted with planning and executing its own end-to-end project strategy from design and implementation to testing and presentation. As a part of this team, you will have the chance to experience what it is like to completely ideate and realize a project and it’s goals and will be a valued and trusted member of our team.
- Strong quantitative skills
- Strong ability in at least one general purpose programming language (e.g. Python, C++, Java, etc.)
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills – ability to communicate technical concepts to non-technical audiences
- Candidates are required to take a brief, online technical in the language of their choice. This quiz has a 15 minute time limit and is designed to test the candidates ability to use code to quickly problem solve. **Please note that applications will NOT be considered without a response to this quiz.** Access the quiz here.
- Apply via their website.