Overall Internship & Job Resources
- Making Good: 50 Ways to Get a Job
- Idealist: Website with international and national job and internship postings as well as resources dedicated to non-profits. Search jobs by location, keyword, area of focus, job category, education, language, and or job type.
- Indeed: Type in the search box to get links to relevant job postings from other sites.
- American Conservation Experience (ACE) – A non-profit organization dedicated to providing rewarding environmental service opportunities for youth, young adults, and emerging professionals of all backgrounds to explore and improve public lands while gaining practical professional experience. Their signature program, ACE Emerging Professionals in Conservation (EPIC) provides recent graduates with focused, hands-on opportunities to work alongside and under the guidance of agency mentors (such as the National Park Service, the Bureau of Land Management, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, the U.S. Forest Service, the Natural Resources Conservation Service, and other conservation focused groups) as they apply their knowledge of resource management on their path to becoming the next generation of resource and land managers.
- American Geosciences Institute – This service lists a wide variety of employment opportunities currently available across the geoscientific disciplines including positions in academia, government, research and the private sector. Check out their Career Resources page which includes links to summer internships and their Geoscience Career Compass profiles for different careers in the geosciences sector.
- Clean Edge News
- Climatebase – A leading platform for climate careers, including internships and job opportunities at more than 3,000 employers on their platform. Through their jobs and organization resource database, you can discover opportunities in sectors such as energy; transportation; food, agriculture & land use; buildings & cities; nature-based solutions; materials & manufacturing; engineered carbon removal; advocacy & policy; capital; media & journalism.
- Conservation Job Board – A career website of great employment opportunities in ecology, wildlife, forestry, marine biology, environmental education, and related fields.
- Education for Sustainability
- EEJobs – North American Association of Environmental Educators
- Environmental Journalism Fellowships and Workshops
- Environmental Science Internships
- Geological Society of America (GSA): A global professional society that provides professional growth of earth scientists at all levels of expertise and from all sectors: academic, government, business, and industry. An international GSA Job Board, the GeoCareers Program (provides student opportunities such as internships, scholarships, travel awards) and career & education resources
- Green Corps
- Josh’s Water Jobs – Jobs related to water and internationally focused with two broad categories that are highlighted, namely Water (policy, governance, law, economics, management, finance, advocacy, science, communications, etc.) and WASH (water, sanitation and hygiene)
- Environment Jobs
- SustainableBusiness.com -Green Dream Jobs
- Sustainable Career Pathways – A resource of sustainability/green job boards and interviews with practitioners in different segments of the green economy: Energy, Utilities, and Generation (including renewables); Energy Efficiency and Demand Response; Government/Cities/States/Regional Sustainability; Sustainability Officers; Transportation, Logistics, and Mobility; Waste, Recycling, Plastics, and Circular Economy; Impact Investing/Finance; Water; Specialists- Environmental Psychology, Life-Cycle Analysis, Green Infrastructure
The websites listed below all have information on available jobs in Clean Energy.
- Cleantekker: Job search engine. Fairly new, but keep checking it out.
- Job Target: The American Wind Energy Association’s career center allows job seekers to search through listings, post a resume and sign up for customized job alerts.
- Energy Central: Lists RE jobs by category. Sign up for Job Watch Online to receive job posting updates.
- Environmental Career: Search environmental job listings by keyword, job category, employment type, location and salary range. Job seekers may also register to post resumes, apply for jobs online, and receive email newsletters and job alerts. There is also an employer directory and a listing of upcoming environmental events.
- Ethanol Jobs: A short list of ethanol jobs. Job seekers can register to upload a resume or CV and may sign up to be notified via email when a new job is posted.
- Green Biz: “Green” jobs listed by job category, searchable by keyword and location. Job seekers can sign up for custom job alert emails and register to post a resume. FREE 30-day job posting by qualified employers.
- National Renewable Energy Lab: National Renewable Energy Lab job openings searchable by keyword, office, job type and date posted. Job seekers may also create a profile and post a resume or CV.
- Penn Energy Jobs: Energy job postings searchable by keyword, job category, location and company. Job seekers may register to post a resume and cover letter, bookmark jobs, sign up for job alerts, sign up for the email newsletter or apply for a job online. The website also has other career tools and resources.
- Renewable Energy World: Renewable energy jobs searchable by keyword, job category, location, and company. Job seekers may also register to upload a resume, save searches, bookmark postings to view later, and create customized job alert emails.
- SEIA Solar Job Board: Search through the Solar Energy Industries Association (SEIA)’s online jobs to find your new career path.
- Simply Hired: Find a renewable energy job searchable by location and keyword
- Sustainable Business: Search sustainable business jobs by location, skill level, category and keyword.
- Urban Future Lab: The Urban Future Lab (UFL) is New York City’s hub for smart cities, clean energy, and smart grid technology. They feature a really cool career center with internships and jobs with cleantech start-ups.
- USA Jobs: Search the US Department of Energy job openings by keyword, salary range, occupation and location.
- Women in Cleantech & Sustainability: Founded in 2011, Women in Cleantech & Sustainability is a nonprofit 501(c)6 organization made up of nearly 3,000 professional women and men building the green economy. Our members range from students and entry-level professionals to Founders, C-Suite executives, and investors. Areas covered include renewable energy (solar, wind biofuel, etc), water, smart grid, biomass, carbon reduction, sustainable transportation, energy efficiency, sustainability, green buildings, and many other technologies that aim to make our world a cleaner, more sustainable place.
- Women+ in Climate Tech: A growing number of entrepreneurs, investors, and technology executives are rising to meet the challenge, and Women in Climate Tech was founded as a platform to help women in this work. Their mission is to empower and amplify the voices of women working in the industry, and to grow the share of women represented who will work on this issue for generations to come. As the negative effects of climate change disproportionately impact women, in addition to low income and communities of color, it is critical for women’s voices to be part of the solution.
- A Guide to Global Development Opportunities@Middlebury
- AWID: Association of Women in International Development
- CRS International Development Fellows Program (IDFP)
- fsd-Foundation for Sustainable Development
- FSG Consulting: Reimagining Social Change – sign up for newsletters to follow trends
- Guide on International Development: Public Service Careers & Opportunities
- Abdul Latif Jameel Poverty Action Lab (J-PAL): Mission to reduce poverty by ensuring policy is informed by scientific evidence through research, policy outreach, and training
- Guide to Short Term Travel Opportunities in Conflict Regions
- Peace & Collaborative Development Network
- The MicroFinance Gateway
- Middlebury Global Public Health Resources: A practical guide to navigate your Global Health minor at Middlebury, including experiential opportunities and ways to understand how the global public health sector is defined.
- U.S. Department of State-Student Programs
- UN Careers-Internships
- UN Job List
- World Food Programme
Nonprofit, Advocacy & Public Affairs
- AmeriCorps, an independent agency of the United States government that engages more than five million Americans in service through a variety of stipended volunteer work programs in many sectors.
- Common Good Careers
- DC Public Affairs + Communications Jobs: Washington, DC area jobs and internships in public affairs, communications, public relations, media, web development, lobbying and related fields.
- Emerging Practitioners in Philanthropy (EPIP), a project of Tides, is a national network of change-makers who strive for excellence and equity in the practice of philanthropy.
- Making the Difference: This site is designed to be your guide as you consider, apply, and secure federal employment. We’ll help you research federal agencies and government careers as well as provide practical tips for completing your application.
- Peace Corps, is an independent agency and program of the United States government that trains and deploys volunteers to provide international development assistance.
- Work for Good
Social Entrepreneurship – for job postings and industry information
- Triple Pundit: Reporting on People, Planet, Profit
- Center for Social Entrepreneurship
- Echoing Green
- Fourth Sector Directory
- National Foundation for Teaching Entrepreneurship
- Net Impact
- Omidyar Network Jobs/Internships
- Social Enterprise Alliance
- Social Entrepreneur Corps
- Social Entrepreneurship – Forbes
- Social Good Guides
- StartingBloc Institute for Social Innovation
- Taking IT Global
- Types of Social Impact Careers
- US SIF: The Forum for Sustainable and Responsible Investment
- Vermont Business for Social Responsibility – PAID Internship Program – The Vermont Intern Program connects college students, recent graduates and young professionals with career opportunities in Vermont.
- Youth Venture – shares Ashoka vision of an Everyone A Changemaker™ world – a world that responds quickly and effectively to social challenges and where each individual has the freedom, confidence and societal support to drive change.
Food Systems Jobs
Good Food Jobs a job search engine designed to link people in search of meaningful food work with the businesses that need their energy, enthusiasm, and intellect. Job-seekers can search using specific criteria and have job opportunities emailed to them.
COMFOODJOBS a listserve across the (sustainable) food system spectrum for employment, internships, and similar opportunities.
Farm and Food Jobs a source for job seekers and prospective employers in agriculture and food related industries. Job seekers can receive new postings by email.
Food + Tech Jobs Connect – Community for food innovators to transform the food industry. We are at the beginning of the most radical transformation of our food industry since the Green Revolution. From sensors and software that help farmers improve margins, to crowdfunding platforms that help food artisans kick-start their business, to big data and apps that allow consumers to make more informed choices, there has been an explosion of startups and innovators who are disrupting how food is produced, distributed, sold and consumed.
Green Collar Jobs Board jobs board for the Green Collar Jobs Blog, listing several green collar job-seeking resources.
USDA Jobs positions available at the U.S. Department of Agriculture
ATTRA: Sustainable Farming Internships and Apprenticeships directory of on-the-job learning opportunities in sustainable and organic agriculture for farms in the U.S. and its territories.
NYFC Jobs and Apprenticeships Message Board an online forum for jobs and apprenticeships. The message board also allows response posts, letting you put up reviews, comments and more.
Fair Trade Jobs Board job listings posted by the Fair Trade Federation
Stockbridge School of Agriculture Career-Net an agriculture job-posting list from the UMass at Amherst, with nation-wide postings.
Sustainable Agriculture Jobs, Internships and Apprenticeships a Facebook group to post professional farm, food and food system career development opportunities
Rodale Institute’s Farmer Connect a moderated classified page hosted by Facebook with agricultural job listings.
Land Jobs Stuff a Google Group bulletin board for land, jobs, and agricultural stuff.
Eager Farmer a nation-wide listing of job opportunities. Cheap to post positions, free to apply.Northeast Region
NEFOOD NESAWG’s discussion listserv. Participants occasionally post job opportunities for food systems work in the Northeast.State Specific
Cornell Small Farms Program Bi-Monthly Newsletter an e-newsletter containing food and farm career opportunitiesMassachusetts
Beginning Farmer Network of Mass a collaborative network of farmers and farm service providers that includes a free jobs and internships directory.
Communities Involved in Sustainable Agriculture classified page for jobsVermont
Vermont Farm to Plate food and farm job listings from Vermont Farm to Plate, Vermont’s statewide initiative to increase economic development and jobs in the farm and food sector and improve access to healthy local food for all Vermonters.
Other Food System Resources
- Northeast Sustainable Agricultural Working Group – NESAWG, a project of the Tides Center, is a 12-state network of more than 500 participating organizations. Together, they unite farm and food system practitioners and allies to build a sustainable, just and economically vibrant region. Their region includes Connecticut, Delaware, Massachusetts, Maine, Maryland, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, West Virginia, and Washington D.C.
- Civil Eats – a daily news source for critical thought about the American food system.
- FoodCorps – connects kids to healthy food in school, so they can lead healthier lives and reach their full potential.
- Sustainable Food Jobs – current jobs and resources in sustainable food
- The Farm-Based Education Association – a free member network established to strengthen and support the work of educators, farmers, and community leaders who provide access and experiences of all kinds on working farms.
Corporate Social Responsibility
- B Corp Job Board: job postings
- Global Impact Investing Network (GIIN) – The GIIN is a nonprofit organization dedicated to increasing the scale & effectiveness of impact investing. Impact investments are investments made into companies, organizations, & funds with the intention to generate social & environmental impact alongside a financial return.
- Triple Pundit: People, Planet Profit: Sign up for 3P newsletter – lens is focused on environment first vs. industry.
- CSRWire: Sign up for this newsletter to watch trends in the industry. Has links to job postings, but great place to see what big corporations are doing in this field.
- Outdoor Industry Association – OIA was founded in 1989 by a group of 14 visionary outdoor industry pioneers who created the association to be a unified, collaborative, pre-competitive voice to help guide the industry. Today, OIA is the voice of the outdoor recreation industry, both locally and in Washington D.C., serving more than 1200 manufacturers, retailers distributors, suppliers, sales representatives, nonprofits and outdoorists.
Startup Jobs & Tech
- Tech & Startup Jobs – The world’s largest startup community; sign up for free.
- Tech Jobs for Good – Tech Jobs for Good is a job board that helps you find tech jobs at mission-driven companies in the United States.
- Tech for Good – Tech For Good brings you the human side of technology for social change.
- Tech Jobs for Social Good – The following are organizations, job boards, and other opportunities focused toward social good and social impact. The opportunities on this page are mainly for those wanting to work in the United States (provided via Udacity Career Resource Center).
Fellowships are typically post-graduate opportunities that can last up to two years. This is just a sampling of available fellowships. For more information go to Fellowships area of CTLR.
- Bill Emerson National Hunger Fellows
- CRS International Development Fellows Program (IDFP)
- Environmental Journalism Fellowships and Workshops
- Leland International Hunger Fellows Program
- New Sector Alliance
Public Interest Technology
Where do you start if you’re a technologist looking to work on public problems? Finding opportunities where you can apply your technology skills to public problems—in governments or nonprofits—is difficult. The field of “Public Interest Technology” is in its infancy, and below are some interesting places where opportunities to get involved in this new sector exist (compliments of the good folks @TechCongress).
- ILP Foundry: Tech policy jobs.
- The Bridge: Policy and technical jobs, with a focus on bridging government and tech.
- Code for America: Focus on jobs in Public Interest Technology.
- Fast Forward Nonprofit Jobs: Technology jobs at tech nonprofits.
- Interaction Design Foundation: Discuss UX designer careers; Talk about career development paths for UX designers, transiting from a non-designer to a designer, and share job and recruitment opportunities with the IDF community.
- I Am The Cavalry (and their discussion list): Group of technologists working at the intersection of consumer security and safety.
- Ragtag and Progressive Coders Network: Progressive technologists, building tech for progressive causes.
- Lincoln Initiative: Community of libertarian professionals working in technology.
- Technology for Social Justice: A participatory action research project intended to find out who works in this space, understand the types of work currently being done with technology for social justice (and more broadly, in the public interest), as well as the pathways people take into this work. They are also building a powerful search by projects and organization related to content of digital and social intersections.
Other Public Interest Fellowship Opportunities
- New America’s Public Interest Technology Fellowship: One-year fellowship for technologists to build tech with nonprofit or public interest groups.
- Ford-Mozilla Open Web Fellowship: 10-month fellowship for policy technologists to build tools for an open internet.
- Code for America Fellowship: One-year fellowship embedding programmers, designers, and engineers with local governments.
- Ford Foundation Technology Fellows: Two-year fellowship embedded with program teams at the Ford Foundation in New York.
- Presidential Innovation Fellowship and US Digital Service: Service in the Executive Branch working with federal agencies on technology projects.
- Coding it Forward: Summer internships aimed at undergraduates for programmers, designers, and engineers in federal agencies.