BCG Launch is a virtual series through which BCGers will share insider perspectives on what it’s like to be a BCG Associate. You’ll learn about the impactful work we do, our transformative digital capabilities, and the many opportunities, support systems, programs, and tools we offer to help our Associates learn, grow, succeed—and have fun!—at BCG.
Register in time for our first event January 17th, 2023. Click HERE
BCG Launch virtual programming is designed to easily fit into your schedule with recordings and on-demand content available to all registrants. Zoom details for each live session will be sent the same day as the event is scheduled. Although registration collects academic information, this is not a job application. This program is a way for us to get to know each other prior to our application deadlines.
Q: Who is eligible for BCG Launch?
A: Undergraduate and non-MBA master’s students attending schools in the U.S. and Canada graduating in the class of 2024, 2025, or 2026!
Q: I submitted my interest and haven’t heard about the actual virtual sessions. What do I do?
A: Hang tight! By registering, you indicated your interest in joining us. We will send the calendar of events and information on each session starting in the new year!
Q: Is participation in BCG Launch considered as part of the job application?
A: No. Participation in the BCG Launch program is completely voluntary. We know that your academic calendar may not enable you to join us, and that’s OK!
This week, Lila Kosowsky ’24, interviews Trisha Singh ’18, Research Data Scientist at Meta.
Trisha uses applied math and machine learning techniques to support Meta’s infrastructure. Prior to working at Meta, she worked at Analysis Group in Health and Economics Outcomes Research. She holds an MS in Statistics from Stanford University and a BA in Math and Economics from Middlebury.
Exploring Careers in Data Analytics is a collaborative series developed by the Center for Careers and Internships and Middlebury in DC with content contributions from members of the Middlebury Professional Network and Middlebury students.
Check out the latest episode on YouTube:
The Evercore Rising Junior Diversity Scholarship will award merit-based scholarships to selected students. Applicants must be in their sophomore year and all are encouraged to apply. Selected students will receive:
- $15,000 scholarship
- A summer internship with Investment Banking in one of our US offices
Application Instructions for Students:
- Application opens March 1
- Submit your application for consideration by March 16 –resumes are pulled on a rolling basis
- Application must include resume, cover letter, and personal statement (max 500 words)
- Address what you believe demonstrates your qualification for the Rising Junior Diversity Scholarship, including a description of your academic and personal strengths; and/or exceptional contributions, through community service, leadership, school activities or otherwise, to the cause of diversity
- Applications should be submitted here: www.evercore.com/careers
- Diversity Interviews and Superdays will take place in March and early April 2023
- Current sophomore students interested in Investment Banking (Graduating in Winter 2024 or Spring 2025)
- Scholarship recipients will be selected from among the eligible applicants who have demonstrated academic excellence, leadership qualities, and who also have contributed to diversity initiatives.
- All students are encouraged to apply to the Rising Junior Diversity Scholarship, particularly those who identify as Black, Hispanic/LatinX, Native American, Female, Veteran, and/or LGBTQ+.
Evercore is hosting an educational event for First Years and Sophomores at NESCAC Schools. The session will include an overview of Investment Banking, a brief introduction to the Firm, and a panel of current Evercore Analysts. There will time for Q&A and networking in breakout rooms, as this session will be held on Zoom.
Mark your calendar for Tuesday, December 13 – 5:00-6:15 EST
ADVANCE REGISTER REQUIRED on Handshake – https://middlebury.joinhandshake.com/events/1178069/ and on Evercore’s website – https://evercore.tal.net/vx/appcentre-ext/brand-4/candidate/so/pm/1/pl/1/opp/1533-Evercore-Intro-to-Investment-Banking-Session-NESCAC-Virtual/en-GB
The U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission’s (SEC) students and recent graduates programs offer an opportunity for students and recent graduates to become acquainted with the regulation of the securities market and the activities of the Commission. The SEC offers paid positions through the SEC Scholars Program, the Chair’s Attorney Honors Program, and the Pathways Programs.
“The SEC is more than a workplace. United by a core set of values, SEC staff members play a critical role–protecting investors, making markets fair and efficient, and helping companies grow.”
The SEC’s student and recent graduate programs offer positions in Washington, DC, and 11 other cities, including Atlanta, Chicago, Los Angeles, and New York. Participants must be U.S. citizens. Participants are given responsibilities and practical experiences that not only complement their classroom work but also promote their careers. Through the duration of their experience, participants work with Commission staff on projects particular to the specific Division or Office to which they are assigned. Additionally, participants may participate in seminars and workshops on various aspects of federal securities laws.
Learn more here: https://www.sec.gov/students-and-recent-graduates-overview
This comes recommended by an alumna who recently participated in a CCI Field Guide program.
Apply HERE by 11:59 p.m. on Friday, Jan. 6, 2023
Chartered in 1828, the Vermont Mutual Insurance Group is one of the ten oldest mutual property and casualty insurers in the United States…and also one of the most successful. Vermont Mutual has been named a Ward Top 50 P&C Insurer for the past 13 consecutive years, is rated “A+ Superior” by A.M. Best, and has been voted one of the Best Places to Work in Vermont from 2016 – 2022.
Business Summer 2023 Internship – https://middlebury.joinhandshake.com/jobs/7149654/
IT Summer 2023 Internship – https://middlebury.joinhandshake.com/jobs/7149645/
Included below are EVENTS, and NEW or HOT financial services opportunities posted this past week in Handshake. There are many, many additional positions, which can be found using Handshake filters and/or search alerts. Please APPLY EARLY! Interviews are offered on a rolling basis, usually before the deadline! Positions may be removed from Handshake before a deadline occurs.
Upcoming MIDDLEBURY Events (RSVP in Handshake)
- Dec. 13 at 5:00 p.m. – Virtual Evercore Intro to Investment Banking for NESCAC Schools Register Here
Hot Opportunity Deadlines (Campus Recruiting & Alumni Referrals – Apply in Handshake)
- Dec. 31 – Growth Equity Immersion Program, PeakSpan Capital Apply Here
- Jan. 21 – Equity Research Analyst – Alternatives, Wellington Management Apply Here
- Mar. 1 – Business Summer Intern, Vermont Mutual Insurance Apply Here
Experiential Learning Program Deadlines
- Dec. 9 – Bridge to Investment Banking Program for Undergraduate Sophomore & Junior Women, William Blair Investment Banking
- Dec. 10 – Solomon Partners Investment Banking 101 Virtual Event Application on 12/13
- Dec. 12 – Cornerstone Externship Program, January 2023, Cornerstone Advisors Asset Management (Bethlehem, PA)
- Dec. 31 – Virtual Diversity Meet & Greet, Tudor, Pickering Holt & Co.
- Dec. 31 – Virtual Diversity Meet & Greet, Perella Weinberg Partners
- Dec. 31 – PeakSpan Capital Growth Equity Immersion Program
- Jan. 5 – Morgan Stanley Early Insights Programs for Historically Underrepresented Populations in the Finance Industry (women, Hispanic, Black, veteran, LGBTQ)
- Jan. 14 – 2023 Global Advisory Women’s Prep Program, Tudor, Pickering Holt & Co.
- Jan. 14 – 2023 Global Advisory Women’s Prep Program, Perella Weinberg Partners
- Jan. 14 – 2023 Global Advisory Diversity Prep Program, Tudor, Pickering Holt & Co.
- Jan. 14 – 2023 Global Advisory Diversity Prep Program, Perella Weinberg Partners
- Jan. 15 – BNP Paribas ASCENT Virtual Sophomore Exploratory Summit
- Mar. 2 – KPMG 2023 Rise Leadership Institute
- Mar. 5 – BNP Paribas ACE Virtual Sophomore Exploratory Summit
- Mar. 15 – INROADS Financial Services Institute
- May 1 – Accelerator Summer Business Immersion at Vanderbilt
- May 31 – 2023 Real Estate Finance Training Program, Eastdil Secured
This Week’s New Internships
- Dec. 11 – Summer Intern-Investment Division and Global Operations, Russell Investments
- Dec. 14 – Internal Audit Summer Intern, Scotiabank
- Dec. 16 – Asset Management Marketing Intern, Lazard
- Dec. 23 – Portfolio Solutions & Analytics Summer Intern, Barings (Charlotte)
- Dec. 30 – Investor Relations/Marketing Intern, MSD Partners
- Dec. 31 – Asset & Wealth Management U.S. Private Bank Summer Analyst, JPMorgan Chase & Co. (Baton Rouge)
- Jan. 6 – Investment Banking Remote Spring Analyst, Digital Capital Advisors
- Jan. 13 – Internal Communications Intern, ING Financial Services
- Jan. 20 – Investment Analyst Intern, Swift Real Estate Partners (SF)
- Jan. 30 – Corporate Treasury Intern, Associated Bank (Green Bay)
- Jan. 31 – Finance Intern, Blue Shield of California (Oakland)
- Jan. 31 – Business Development Intern, Harding Loevner
- Jan. 31 – Internal Audit Summer Analyst, Jefferies
- Feb. 1 – ESG Summer Analyst, ZAIS Group
- Feb. 24 – 2023 Investment Banking SOPHOMORE Analyst, Davidson Capital Advisors
- Mar. 1 – Wealth Intern, NFP
- Mar. 24 – Institutional Sales Summer Intern, VanEck
- Mar. 31 – Summer Analyst-Consumer and Wealth Management, Goldman Sachs
- Apr. 28 – Underwriting Intern, Chubb (Alpharetta)
- Apr. 30 – Reporting Intern, Golub Capital (Chicago)
This Week’s New Jobs
- Dec. 28 – Credit Analyst (Commercial Banking Portfolio Coordinator – Spreading and Pre-Close Covenant Monitoring), Wells Fargo (Charlotte & San Antonio)
- Dec. 31 – Underwriter, Retail Life Sciences, Markel Corporation
- Jan. 7 – Wealth Management Financial Analyst, Portola Partners (Menlo Park)
- Jan. 20 – Fixed Income Research Associate – EM Corporates, MFS Investments
- Jan. 31 – Analyst-Investment Operations-Technology Operations, BlackRock (Wilmington, DE)
- Mar. 12 – Client Services Specialist, Moody’s Corporation (remote)
Upcoming Multi-School Virtual Events (RSVP in Handshake)
- Dec. 6 at 4:00 p.m. – Blackstone Spotlight Webinar: Real Estate
STEP SEVEN: Find a mentor. Mentors can provide unique insight into your field of interest and give great advice from someone who has previously been in your shoes.
The seventh step is to find a mentor. You are lucky that Middlebury College has a dedicated and active alumni network where alumni volunteer to mentor students.
MiddMentors matches alumni volunteers with students based on shared interests, affinities, life goals, and other criteria. Alumni share advice, insight, expertise, and support with students, who can join MiddMentors their sophomore year and can remain with the program through graduation. Participants drive the mentoring topics, which can range from navigating life at Middlebury to exploring careers and professional interests to pursuing a rewarding life path.
There is no “one size fits all” approach to mentoring. That’s why we encourage participants to take an approach that best leverages their expertise, availability, and goals. Along the way, we provide support through resources, recommended best practices, and advice.
STEP EIGHT: Practice for interviews. From planning what you will wear, to preparing responses to questions you will be asked—how you present yourself in your interview is within your control. Don’t try to wing it!
Interviews provide an opportunity to present your qualifications and experiences while relating them to the needs of an organization. An interview gives you a chance to confirm that the opportunity is a good fit for both you and the employer. Preparation and practice are keys to a successful interview.
Make sure you review professional dress guidelines, practice common interview questions, and study the types of interviews. You can learn all about interviews in our Interview Preparation Guide.
STEP NINE: Enjoy Podcasts, Career-related books, and more.
I know it seems like a lot to ask you to spend MORE time between classes and homework, papers and exams, but if you are feeling too busy, try to make a commitment to listen to a podcast that will help with your growth for five minutes a day. Small investments in yourself do add up, even if only 5 minutes per day.
Podcasts: Have some down time while walking around campus or out on a run? Check out The Muse’s 6 Career-Boosting Podcasts You’re Going to Love Listening To or Forbes’ Feeling Stuck In Your Career? Add These 15 Podcasts To Your List.
Books: Read The Muse’s 21 Books That’ll Get You Ahead at Work, According to Top Career Coaches, Forbes’ 5 Must-Read Books For Your Career In 2021, or The Balance Careers’ The 8 Best Career Books of 2021.
The Center for Careers and Internships will host an Accounting & Financial Modeling Liberal Arts Boot Camp at Middlebury College on the weekend January 21-22, 2023.
What Will I Learn?
Taught by financial training firm Wall Street Prep, this intensive 2-day seminar bridges the gap between academics and the real world to give you the practical Excel, accounting, and financial modeling skills you will need during the recruiting process and on the job.
Who Teaches this Seminar?
This intensive workshop is taught by an industry practitioner who conducts training at the world’s top investment banks, financial institutions, and Fortune 500 companies.
What’s on the Agenda?
- Day 1: Saturday, January 21 (9:00am-5pm). Accounting & Financial Statement Analysis/Financial Statement Modeling in Excel
- Day 2: Sunday, January 22 (9:00am-5pm). Introduction to Valuation and Technical Finance Interview Prep
How Much Does it Cost?
$190. This enrollment fee represents over 80% educational discount relative to WSP’s corporate training fees. ***Students with FINANCIAL NEED may be eligible for an Opportunity Grant (https://www.middlebury.edu/student-funding/opportunity-grants-application-instructions) to cover the enrollment fee. Please DO NOT REGISTER or pay Wall Street Prep directly if you plan to participate and have applied for an Opportunity Grant to cover the enrollment fee. Please email Ursula at UOlender@middlebury.edu and she will hold a place for you while your Opportunity Grant application is being reviewed.
DEADLINE TO REGISTER is Sunday, December. 18 at 11:55 p.m.
“I’m In!” How Do I Register?
Learn more and register online at: https://www.wallstreetprep.com/seminars_university/middlebury-012123/.