75% of internet users, and 86% of Facebook postings, use a language other than English. Public and private sector organizations who wish to reach the non-English populations have to grapple with “localization”: the process of adapting a product or content to a specific locale or market. The language services industry recently surpassed the $40 billion mark and is projected to continue its rapid growth. There is a great need in this industry for localization professionals who are proficient in translation, technology, and business skills.
Middlebury Institute alumna and Career Advisor, Winnie Heh, will share more information about how to prepare for these new career opportunities in this webinar. Winnie graduated with a Conference Interpretation degree and spent 25 years managing language companies, the most recent of which was recently acquired for $1.5 billion. Winnie is excited to share her deep knowledge of the language industry with you.
If you missed this webinar in January, please join us.
Location: ADK CCI Library
Date: Wednesday, March 21, 2018
Click here to register for the event in Handshake.
Several weeks ago, Ron Cappello P’21 of Infinia Group presented a few example case studies to students about the nature of brand consulting and the types of clients. Click below to view his presentation.
Click here to check out great resources to read over the break!
The Center for Careers and Internships has funding for unpaid summer internships and applications are open! All grant applications are due Sunday, April 8th.
- $3000 Summer Internship Funding Grants*
- $1000 First-Year Explore Grants
- $3000 Dance Festival Grants*
* You are not eligible if you have previously received a $2500 competitive grant from CCI.
- Read all the details: go/summerfunding.
- Apply for funding by “Requesting an Experience” in Handshake using the step-by-step instructions: User Guide for Funding Your Summer Experience.
- Follow all directions carefully. Note that resume, essay, and budget (must use budget template) must be uploaded immediately after submitting your application.
- Resume review with a Peer Career Advisor (PCA) and appointment with a CCI Advisor required for First-Year Explore Grant applicants by April 4. Strongly encouraged for all other applicants.
- Award notifications sent out on April 20.
Still looking to find internship opportunities?
- Check out CCI’s Top Ten List for ways to find or create an internship.
- Drop by Quick Questions for resume reviews, questions about how to apply for funding, or to get started on your internship search.
- Visit go/Handshake and click on “Career Center” to schedule an appointment with a Career and Internship Advisor in your area of interest.
What will be your summer story? We can’t wait to receive your application for summer funding!
Interested in a listing of CCI Sponsored Internships? go/ccisponsored.
The Middlebury Institute of International Studies is Middlebury’s graduate school for people who want to make positive change in the world. Join Middlebury Institute enrollment advisor Brandon McNeice and Professor Orion Lewis to learn more about accelerated degree programs, scholarships and study away programs. Tues, March 20 at 4:30 in Axin 220
Wednesday, March 21 from 9:00 am to 12:00 pm at CCI
Middlebury Institute of International Studies (MIIS)
The Middlebury Institute of International Studies at Monterey provides international professional education in areas of critical importance to a rapidly changing global community, including international policy and management, translation and interpretation, language teaching, sustainable development, and non-proliferation. We prepare students from all over the world to make a meaningful impact in their chosen fields through degree programs characterized by immersive and collaborative learning, and opportunities to acquire and apply practical professional skills. Our students are emerging leaders capable of bridging cultural, organizational, and language divides to produce sustainable, equitable solutions to a variety of global challenges.
Brandon McNiece, a representative from MIIS will be at CCI for individual consultations with students.
This is a great opportunity for students interested in pursuing graduate studies in areas of critical importance to a rapidly changing world, including international security, human rights and social change, language and culture, sustainable development, and global management. Take advantage of this invitation to learn about the unique programs available on our Monterey campus, as well as the scholarships reserved specifically for Middlebury College alumni.
The EVENT on Tues night is CANCELLED but the job remains in Handshake. Join Beacon Group on campus for an information session about this entry level consulting position using Mandarin, Portuguese, Japanese, Vietnamese or Indonesian on Tuesday, March 20 at 7 pm in ADK Coltrane Lounge.
And consider applying for the job on Handshake here: https://app.joinhandshake.com/jobs/1337348
The Beacon Group is a Maine-based strategy consulting firm focused on supporting a select group of global Fortune 500 clients as they build strategies and tactics to win in their marketplaces. We are rapidly growing and offer opportunities for new employees to work in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment from our Portland office. Successful candidates will have the opportunity to deliver and engagements across the firm’s four practice areas: Aerospace, Defense & Government, Health & Life Sciences, Technology and Industrials & Energy.
The Beacon Group offers its entry-level Consultant position as an opportunity to learn and assess a career in strategy consulting. The ideal candidate will show the ability to research thoroughly under tight deadlines, write and communicate clearly, exhibit strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work well on teams. In addition, you have shown the ability to learn a set of domain knowledge in a certain period of time, and then communicate that knowledge in an articulate fashion.
No previous business experience is necessary. Excel and PowerPoint proficiency required along with a Bachelor’s degree. Proficiency in Mandarin, Portuguese, Japanese, Vietnamese and Indonesian are highly desirable. Beacon will only consider candidates who currently possess permanent US work authorization. The Beacon Group offers its employees competitive compensation, benefits and vacation package.
- Box Office Assistant at New London Barn Playhouse – Deadline date: 4/1
- Public Relations Account Coordinator (Start date: Summer 2018)-LaunchSquad- Deadline date: 6/1
- Marketing Associate, Digital & Innovation– Orton Family Foundation- Deadline date: 3/31
- Associate – Group Gordon– Deadline date: 5/31
- Associate Account Manager- MightyHive– Deadline date: 5/1
- Post- Baccalaureate Fellowship- Carnegie Foundation – Deadline date: 7/1
- Marketing Assistant – Gand Teton Music Festival– Deadline date: 5/31
- Program Development and Fundraising Internship- The Bone Marrow Foundation– Deadline date: 3/16
- Gallery Associate – 511 Gallery (NYC)- Deadline date: 5/16
- Communications Intern- Nellie Mae Education Foundation – Deadline date: 4/13
- Management Development Associate – Curriculum Associates – Deadline date: 3/18
It’s that time of year when publishers, book manufacturers, and authors are identifying the key trends that will influence their roles in the industry during the next 12 months. In 2018, the publishing industry will likely follow the broader patterns that have been seen throughout the past decade, including the rise of small publishers, digital platforms, and new formats. This webinar is designed to share industry leaders’ perspectives on how these trends will impact business goals this year and in the years to come.
If you missed this webinar in February, please join us.
Location: ADK CCI Library
Date: Wednesday, March 14, 2018
Click here to register for the event in Handshake.