Each Winter Term, many students participate in internships and apply for the opportunity to earn academic credit while having high-level exposure to valuable work. Below is a complete timeline that clearly outlines all of the necessary steps to obtain credit this January.
Contact Cheryl Whitney Lower at email@example.com with any questions.
Expand the sections below to access required forms and more information.
Starting now – early November, 2017
- SECURE YOUR INTERNSHIP
- Apply for opportunities on Handshake or find your own! Meet with a Career Advisor for help.
October 30-November 1, 2017
- REGISTER FOR A WINTER TERM INTERNSHIP COURSE
- If you are planning to complete an internship but have not yet been approved or secured, register for any Winter Term class as a temporary placeholder. Failure to register for a class or an internship during WT registration means you will not be eligible for credit.
- If your internship is approved before WT registration, register on Banner for your internship; CCI will send you instructions once it is approved.
- Note: “Approved” means it has been approved by CCI and the Curriculum Committee.
Before early November, 2017
- IDENTIFY AND SECURE AN ACADEMIC SPONSOR
- Identify a Middlebury faculty member as your Academic Sponsor- this can be your advisor or another faculty member.
- Discuss a plan that will help you make connections between your internship experience and your coursework at Middlebury.
- Identify at least three scholarly sources to list in your application for credit. You will use this as an intellectual framework for your experience and as relevant content for your final academic work.
No later than mid-November, 2017
- SEND SUPERVISOR AND ACADEMIC SPONSOR NECESSARY PAPERWORK
- Send the Intern Sponsor Agreement Form to your internship supervisor.
- Send the Academic Sponsor Form to your Academic Sponsor here at Middlebury.
- Inform them both of the November 30 submission deadline.
DEADLINE: November 30, 2017: Forms required to complete your application:
- Application for Winter Internship Credit (Student submits)
- Assumption of Risk and Code of Conduct Form (Student submits)
- Intern Sponsor Agreement Form (Internship Supervisor submits)
- Academic Sponsor Approval Form (Academic Sponsor submits)
- *Optional for qualifying students* WT Internship Funding Application (Student submits)
- COMPLETING YOUR INTERNSHIP
- Submit final academic work to your academic sponsor.
- Submit self-evaluation to the CCI.
- Internship supervisor will also submit an evaluation.
Would you like to intern in Israel this summer? Thanks to a generous donor, CCI is offering three $1500 grants for students to intern in Israel through Onward Israel. Onward Israel offers students 6-10 week internships in areas ranging from technology, arts, social justice, health, politics and more, to help students gain valuable work experience as well as develop a long-lasting connection with Israel and a strong commitment to Jewish life and community.
Students interested in this opportunity should apply directly to Onward Israel, be accepted, and then contact Cheryl Whitney Lower at CCI. Awards of $1500 to help cover program fees and airfare will be given on a first-come, first-served basis. If you are offered and accept this internship, please be aware that your funding for this position is provided by CCI, and therefore you will complete all CCI funding requirements, such as applications and evaluations. Participation in this program will also be contingent on a 2nd-level travel review by Middlebury’s Global Operations Committee.
Eligible students: first-years, sophomores, and juniors.
Click on the icon below for Onward Israel’s application information.
Dance alumni will be on campus this week to share their paths and professional lives with students to help them think broadly about their major. These alums are multidimensional. In addition to being amazing performers, they are also activists, singers, strategists, visual artists, arts administrators, educators, sculptors, producers, songwriters, and more.
Click here to learn more about our participating alumni!
This event is part of the Dance Department’s Alumni Takeover Week!
What did they do at Middlebury and what are they doing now? Find out at these events!
Wednesday, November 15, 2017
Alumni Panel, 4:30 p.m. – MCA Room 110
Reception, 6:00 p.m. – MCA Lobby
Friday, November 17, 2017
Alumni Chats (Talk one-on one), 10:00- NOON – Rehearsals Café
There are several exciting internship and job opportunities in Handshake. Below you’ll find a few I thought were interesting and worth exploring.
- Oratory Now Intern at Middlebury College
- Communications and Digital Coordinator- Toxics Action Center
- Entry Level Marketing and Events Specialist – Workbridge Associates
- Marketing Summer Internship- Unilever
- Marketing Analyst- Click LLC
- Digital Media Analyst- Loeb.NYC
- Sales Coordinator- Hearken
- Marketing Intern- Loeb.NYC
- Human Resources Summer Internship- Unilever
- Customer Development Summer Internship- Unilever
- Food Solutions Marketing Internship- Unilever
- Summer Internship Marketing Analyst- PIMCO
- Impact America Media Production Fellow
- Junior Account Manager- Fly Communications
- Interactive News Developer – New York Times
- News and Sports Clerk- Lynn Publications
- Junior Graphic Designer- MSLGROUP
- Winter Term Media Industry Research Assistant- Media Partners Asia
- Videographer- Click LLC
- Environment America Digital Campaigner
- Beauty and Style Writing Intern- Business Insider
- Video Editing Intern- Business Insider
- Editorial Assistant – Scribe
- Multimedia Intern – Date With The Muse
- Production Assistant – GrandSon
- Administrative Assistant – Grubman Shire Meiselas & Sacks P. C.
- Major League Baseball Diversity Fellowship Program
Media Partners Asia is a leading research & advisory firm focused on media, telecoms and entertainment industries in Asia Pacific.
This is a unique role to assist MPA analysts and Vice Presidents in research across the media sector with a focus on local media players in China, Korea, Hong Kong and Southeast Asia. Media operators include TV broadcasters, TV and film production houses, content aggregators including free-to-air and pay-TV channel operators, online video distributors, pay-TV platforms and film exhibition companies. Topics include research and data collection on company ownership, background, history, product and service offering, and financial position (i.e. income statements, balance sheets).
All the details here in Handshake. Act now and don’t miss out: https://app.joinhandshake.com/jobs/1135996
Generously offered by an alum!
Forbes contributor Paul Armstrong provides a few tips on how to get started in podcasting. Click here to read the article.
In addition, Lynda.com provides video tutorials on podcasting. All Middlebury students have access to these video courses. Click here to get started with Lynda.com.
I would recommend the two below beginner courses to get started. They also offer advanced courses.
Alumni panelists will talk about the trends shaping the communications industry, its greatest challenges, the similarities and differences in these segments for those beginning their careers, and what they mean for future roles in this field.
- Patrick O’Donoghue ’85, Director of Business Affairs, Weiden + Kennedy NY
- Meghan Barstow ’94, Executive Vice President, Employee Engagement, Edelman
- Peter McSherry ’06, Vice President, Analytic Consulting Group, Epsilon
Click here to sign up for the Lunch Panel!
For full list of events visit go/upnext!
Patrick O’Donoghue ‘85 will discuss the process through which strategies are translated into advertising and marketing campaign content, what the different roles are in content creation, and skills that interested students should be developing to best position them for entry-level opportunities. Click here to sign up for the event!
For full list of events visit go/upnext!
Meghan Barstow ‘94 will discuss the Public Relations career landscape, including the different types of roles, skills/experiences that are required and case studies providing a glimpse of the day in the life of communications careers. Click here to sign up for the event!
For full list of events visit go/upnext!