Stakeholder: Kathy Foley-Giorgio and Kaye-Lani Laughna
WebRedo Contact: Ryan Kellett / Pooja Shahani
General: “ISSS provides advising, programs, services, and support to our international students, staff, and faculty who come to study and work at Middlebury College in our many programs (13 summer Language Schools, the Bread Loaf School of English on three U.S. campuses and one site abroad, Bread Loaf Writer’s Conference, and the undergraduate college). ISSS manages the College’s involvement in the U.S. government’s Student & Exchange Visitor System (SEVIS) as well as institutional compliance with related immigration regulations. We also coordinate International Student Orientation and the Friends of International Students (FIS) host program.”
- Varied constituencies: ISSS has wide variety of users from current students but also a large group of alumni that also are required by law to be in contact with Middlebury/ISSS. Feeding the right information to the correct constituents is an important part of what ISSS. Finding new and unique ways to push new and timely information to constituents is important and needed.
- Forms/Documents: ISSS hosts a lot of internal and governmental forms, some of which are PDFs, printable documents (which are sent back and then printed in hard copy). ISSS needs an organized way to serve and push this information out to constituents especially when deadlines are near or if information changes.
- Government Interface: Is there any way to interface with online government forms that are currently filled out through ISSS? We were brainstorming about how to create fillable forms that would directly come back to our office in a legible way, unlike the current fillable forms that do not make sense once they are submitted, as they come back in paragraph form rather than the form in original form.
- Multi-language support: Some ISSS users do not speak/write English. Language or at least graphic suport for this is requested. Either way, simplicity is key.
- CMS: New CMS must be easier to manipulate and more flexible so that content can be posted faster. ISSS can do content updates but requires one-time consultation/assistance in rethinking new ways to display and interface information. CMS currently too much of a burden as a tack-on to job requirements. LIS support for CMS is key.
- International Alumni: ISSS requests a way to remain in contact with these particular alumni because ISSS maintains immigration records for them. Automatic reminders and notifications of changes should be pushed to alumni. A place to continue contact, conversation, networking through ISSS is also requested.
- Alumni: Single accessible database for alumni updates. In particular, ISSS finds that alumni update the school with information but that information is not then shared college-wide. A single database of alumni records is needed.
- Newsletters: ISSS would like to support an online newsletter that is easy to draft and send without email.
- External audience: international host families should be able to research and apply online to the program. Ability to manage those applications online.
- Feedback forms: Need for data collection about services and if constituents’ needs are being met.
- Multimedia: Would like to welcome visitors with more photos, colors, etc.
- IA: ISSS requests assistance with cleaning up their information architecture which has evolved to be a bit unwieldly since it is currently organzed with redundant information for multiple constituents.Fewer pages needed, drop-down menus requested.