Life’s a Zoo

August26

When you live on campus for months on end, the dogs that you interact with on a regular basis are few. So, if I’ve learned anything over this past year, it’s that college students love (read: freak out when they see) dogs. When my advisor asked if I would dogsit for him a few days ago, I did not hesitate to accept. It was a pretty low-key event, as I ate soup on the front porch while Louie moved from one spot on the grass to another. As I mentioned in a previous post, the garden is the biggest and most beautiful I’ve ever seen. I saw more hummingbirds in one sitting here than anywhere else. Basically, what I realized is that my professor’s house is my dream home. I spent more time looking around outside than I did actually reading my textbook. When I did make the bold move to lie on the grass right next to where Louie was lounging, as soon as I took a seat, he moved away…I see how it is. But other than that, hanging out alone with a dog is the best way to spend an evening. Even if I do consider myself more of a cat person.

Speaking of cats, last weekend I spent a few days in Montreal, where we spent one morning at the most interestingly themed cafe I’ve ever seen: Les Café des Chats (trans. The Cat Cafe!). So yes, you can buy coffee, espresso, and baked sweets, while PLAYING WITH CATS. They just lounge around in their cushions and cat trees for you to pet and admire. Goals.

Because a close friend of mine is living in the sustainable food house all summer, I’ve spent quite a few days hanging out there too. We cooked dinner together there Sunday night, and someone who lived there previously kept their pet bunny in the house for the summer. While I did get kicked in the face once or twice, it was still the cutest and softest little floppy eared animal, and I want to adopt one. So as you can see, even if the furthest extent I’ll go in my own dorm room as far as owning an animal is with a fish tank, there are still plenty of furry pals around. Maybe I’ll adopt a turtle next.

You must be logged in to post a comment.