Meg Poterba ’17

admissions

Hometown: Belmont, MA

High School: 

Major/Minor: Economics, Minors: Chinese, Education Studies

E-mail: mpoterba@middlebury.edu

Activities: MiddCAM Mentor (College Access Mentoring), Economics Grader/Teaching Assistant, Tour Guide Coordinator, President of Palmer House Superblock (2015-2016)

What is your favorite non-academic activity?

I really love to paint. While I rarely find the time to paint for myself, I’ve made some smaller paintings for friends’ birthdays and such that I’m pretty proud of. Painting is a way for me to relieve stress and channel my creativity when I need a break from everything.

What is the number one thing on your Middlebury Bucket List?

I really want to hike Snake Mountain at sunset. I’ve seen so many incredible pictures and it’s one of those views of Vermont that you can’t miss out on.

Where is the best view on campus?

Definitely the football field at sunrise. You get a great view of the mountains and it reminds you how special it is to go to school in such a beautiful place.

What is your quest?

My biggest goal in life is to make other people happy. I’ve grown up in a very generous family that has taught me to always give back, and I plan to continue that mentality throughout my entire life.  I know it’s impossible to please everyone, but I hope to leave an impact on others as much as I can.

Where is your favorite place to hang out with friends?

I love sitting in the Adirondack Chairs that are all across campus when the weather is nice.  Sometimes it’s fun to just sit with a friend and catch up, especially when it’s finally sunny and 75 after a long winter.

What do you struggle with?

I’m a perfectionist, so sometimes I freak out unless every detail is exactly how I want it. That being said, it makes me work that much harder at everything I do and trying to meet my high self-standards is always a fun challenge.

Why college? Why Middlebury?

I wanted to spend four years with a bunch of people my age who are all super passionate about what they are studying and what they like to do.  It sounds cliché, but when I stepped onto the Middlebury campus, I knew it was the school for me.  I remember hardly anything that I heard about on my tour, but I still remember the feeling I got while walking around campus and seeing all of the smiling faces around me.  There is something about the community at Middlebury that I really didn’t see anywhere else, and while it was almost an indescribable moment, I knew it was the school for me.

One piece of advice you would give prospective students in the admissions process?

I would give prospective students two pieces of advice: first, don’t sell yourself short.  During the college process, it seems like everyone around you is doing amazing and unique things that will make them stand out against you on a college application. It’s easy to convince yourself that you aren’t special, but you don’t need to have been the captain of your sports team or gone on some inspirational service trip to stand out.  Even the littlest things like working at a cool summer camp or a random childhood story can be unique to you, and sometimes you don’t even realize it.

Second, don’t take yourself too seriously. With all the inevitable stress that comes with the college process, it is easy to get caught up in the moment and overanalyze every little detail. Focus on keeping up your grades, but also take the time to enjoy all of your senior year activities. Before you know it, you’ll be packing for college and wondering why you spent so much time earlier in the year worrying about things that didn’t matter. The next four years of your life will be stressful and awesome, but don’t rush to get here.

What would you be reincarnated as in your next life?

I think I would want to be a dolphin or some sort of fish. I love the water and I’d get to travel to some pretty sick places.

You must be logged in to post a comment.