Home away from Home

September4

I spent my summer at home: chillin’ with my mom, babysitting, and eating a lot of homemade meals (YUM). Being from Southern California and coming into my first year last year was a very scary experience, especially because I came alone. And by alone I mean COMPLETELY alone. No Mom. No Dad. No siblings. It was just be and my two lovely suitcases. But even though this was one of the scariest things that I ever had to do in my life, I was perfectly okay with taking the first step towards a big chapter in my life. (For the most part)

"Are you gonnah miss your mom?" "No..."

“Are you gonnah miss your mom?” “No…”

None the less, my first year here at Middlebury was amazing experience, with amazing people, and of course I had an amazing job here at the admissions office. And now, I am getting ready to start my second year here at Middlebury!!! Crazy how time goes by so fast, I feel like I was JUST moving in.

This year I will be living in the Italian house. I’m really excited that I get to live in an actual home and not in the dorms. Not that there is anything wrong with living in the dorms, but living in a home just feels a lot more personal and connected. Part of living in a language house means that we will only be allowed to speak that language, which will be tough but in a good way. Being from a Hispanic household, I always spoke Spanish at home. So I would go to school or be in the outside world and speak English, but then would come home and speak Spanish. I missed having this dynamic play out in my life my first year here, which is why I am very excited to reincorporate that living style this second year. The house is also beautiful and in a very central location on campus, but that was just a bonus. Hopefully, I’ll be more than prepared to use my language skills abroad!

TA DA!

You must be logged in to post a comment.