Weekend in NY: Day 2, Yoko Ono and Tacos

July24

Inevitably, we ended up in Manhattan on day 2 of our trip.

The journey began innocently enough, at a metro north station in a Westchester town with a faintly Native American name. I wish with both my girlfriend and her sister, a current high school student and the most sarcastic person from New York since Jerry Seinfeld. The only other person on the platform was a man who clearly has done a commute to the city for several decades.

After a 40 minute train ride in a thankfully air conditioned car, we stepped out into the hustle and bustle of the city streets.

These are just some of the classic small town things I did and said while in the city:

*Failed to swipe the subway car correctly, making the turnstile beep

*”These buildings are so tall”

*”Look, I found a patch of trees”

*Thought that the sanitation ratings meant how good the food was

We took a very long break to cool off in the cold chambers of the Museum of Modern Art. The current special exhibition was centered around Yoko One. While some may know her as the person who caused significant strain within The Beatles, she was also an active artists, producing countless works throughout her life. In my opinion, the most engaging aspect was a shroud. This shroud enables the viewer to see the observers, but those observes cannot see the person beneath the shroud. It was utilized by Ono as she attempted to battle her sense of stage fright early on in her career. The general collection of the museum is, given the institution’s reputation, fantastic. A must see for any first time visit to the city.

We visited a friend at Chelsea Market, where I felt overrun by theater people and gentrifying 20 somethings eating Cambodian pulled porked sandwitches. The taco place within the market is trendy and tasty. Although I will never try cactus again, it was a cool experience to taste it in between bites of amazing tacos, chips, and guac. A post digestion walk on the High Line finished off a fun and often sweaty day.

55687c084ae56e586e4565ca_yoko-ono-solo-show-moma

by posted under Uncategorized | No Comments »    

You must be logged in to post a comment.