My Final Drive To Middlebury (as a student)

The first time I visited Middlebury I drove in from the middle of New York State. I had fallen asleep during the drive (as I am want to do) and was woken up by my Dad’s voice saying that we were 30 minutes away.  I looked to my right — farmland. I looked to my left — more farmland. I looked down at my phone — no signal.  Where was I?  I got on campus, took the tour, heard the information session, visited with a professor and fell in love with the school.

That drive through the tip of New Jersey, three hours of New York State, and the ending 45 minutes of Vermont is one that I have done numerous times over my four years.  I know the drive well. I know which rest stops are best to stop at and make the same punny jokes everytime I pass certain stores. Friends that have been in the car with me and thus heard the jokes before groan, new passengers give a polite laugh, and I’ll admit that sometimes I even say them outloud to myself when I drive alone.

Two days ago, at the end of spring break, the last break of the year, I did my last drive back to campus that I will take as a student.  The landmarks became sentimental, the jokes became meaningful, and the long stretches of I-87 opened up the floodgates of memories.  It felt odd to know that the next time I drive back to campus I will be doing it as an alum.  Each time I did this drive it was with the excited expectation of new experiences at Middlebury and getting back to a place I love.  I’m excited to know that my future drives will serve as a checkpoint of how I’ve grown and the new places that I have seen as I go back to visit Middlebury, my alma mater.