The Health Professions team is fond of reminding you that once you are in the medical school’s zip code, consider yourself on the interview stage as everyone with whom you interact-from secretary to tour guide to cafeteria worker-might be asked to share feedback on your demeanor. With medical school interview season kicking into gear, we thought it timely to share a reflection from a recent alum that underscores this point:

“I’ve utilized the student host program for every interview that I’ve attended because it saves a lot of money (no $150+/night wasted on hotels!) and it offers another opportunity to meet a current student and learn more about the school. So far, all my hosts have been wonderful! During one interview, I mentioned to my interviewer that I stayed with a current student, and she asked for his name. I didn’t think anything of it at the time, but the next day I got a text from my host saying that the interviewer asked him what was his opinion of me. Luckily, the guy and I got along really well. This event underscored the fact that you have to be polite and friendly with everyone who is in any way affiliated with the school of medicine–including the hosts! Even if you don’t know that you’re being judged, you are, and everyone’s opinions of you matter. I’ve found that there’s no need to send the hosts a formal thank-you letter, a nice text after your interview will suffice, and try to bring a small thank-you gift. These students are doing us interviewees a huge favor by hosting–make sure that they know they’re appreciated!”

Great advice! Do YOU have any interview tips to share? Contact our office and we will be happy to post them.