Ian S-F interviews Alice Dubenetsky

[middtube envs0350a-f08 mp3:ISanders_ADubenetsky100708]

Alice Dubenetsky

10/07/08

Dan Sargent Rd., South Starksboro

Interviewed by Ian Sanders-Fleming

I actually didn’t choose Alice for any particular reason.  She was one of a choice of people we were given going to South Starksboro.  In reality I would have preferred someone not on the Select Board so as to experience someone more removed from town politics, but she had some great insights into town initiatives and changes and how politics are viewed and participated in.

We interviewed in her living room in her house, an old renovated farmhouse.  They have done an amazing job renovating that house, it is clean and well furnished, the old beams are artfully exposed, there is a great large fireplace on one end, attended on one side by a plasma TV.  It has the air of a cute old farmhouse that has fallen into the hands of pretty well off people.

One constant source of interference is the ipod itself- it clicks and whirrs a little now and then- I’m not sure how much of a problem this was, but I’d like to try a new device.  Alice’s dog, Jet, was all over the place now and then, but you can’t here him; his disturbance comes from our chidings.

The beginning was like last time- informal and quick, so I had to turn on the recorder in the middle of a sentence (my sentence, luckily).  I was perfectly comfortable this interview, and I think I put Alice at ease.  However, I was so willing to prompt her and give my own inputs that I think I overload the interview with my steering the conversation too much.  Longer silences will draw out better answers, perhaps- I need to try either way.  It will take a lot to edit me out!  Some prompts worked really well, however- if I suggest the right thing at the right time it brought out a story, etc.  I need to learn the balance between input and just letting them speak.

I took a photograph of Alice outside her house, but because I was pressed for time, I couldn’t really record where she lived.  I would have taken a photo of her and her horses, given the chance.  I left my camera chord there; perhaps I’ll get more pictures when I go back.

Interviewing Alice did not uncover a mine of childhood Starksboro stories- she grew up in Connecticut.  The perspective she gave was all-inclusive, someone who values the town and is a part of it now, but well aware that people will move in from outside, and has accepted it.  As head of the town Select Board, she offers very realistic and pragmatic opinions on town growth, and how it can be steered in a positive way.  Later in the interview, we really get into some good discussions about town politics and ‘neighborhood politics’ around land.  I left the interview with a better appreciation of ‘new’ Starksboroians, and curious as to how she is seen by others in the town.

1:44 the first question- Alice’s childhood- a very quick synopsis of life

3:10 the first views of the house- a piece o’ junk!  Making it into a home

3:50 Alice’s passion- horses

4:45 The first social circles- mothers of children in school

5:19 Bloody Mary Story of how Alice became a select board member!

6:40 Alice’s journalism- what she’s looking for in Vermont news about people- I kind of run over her a little much- maybe suppressing good answers.

8:20 Everyone knows everyone in Vermont- being on radio- Alice talks about how American community lives on in Vermont towns.  I say stupid stuff

10:13 Alice’s daughter Katie- what she plans to do after leaving home?  Deciding NOT to leave Vermont- be a big fish in a small pond.

12:15 What kids leaving does to town life—Alice and the other moms having a blast!

13:30—Doggy attack interruption.  You can’t actually here him, but we all fuss.

14:24  Life as a commuter- Dan (Husband) working in Burlington—how it effects life in Starksboro

15:14- what Dan is involved in at Starksboro

16:28- working in the town, or lack of it- what it means for people’s view of the  town, participation, etc…  I TALK to much- silence might draw more out!

It is worth it to stay in Starksboro

17:10  How Alice ended up in Starksboro in particular- not a choice, just what was available and cheap

18:29- Issues of property values

19:53 A nice story about Alice and Dan’s travels before Vermont- the con man in Maine

20:47 How Vermont worked out, and the questioning along the way

21:03 How the town helped Alice and Dan moving in and renovating the house- the help of neighbors made it possible for them.  I should have asked about the first mud season!

22:48 Being accepted into the neighborhood- Dan the Radio guy

23:00 First feeling a part of the town- town meeting—good reflections on town politics

24:05 Alice stepping down voluntarily- wanting to allow other influence control town projects.  A lack of interest?  Why don’t people step forward?

25:25 One of the most contentious and full meetings ever- Alice’s first meeting impression!  Over snow mobileing

27:10 Another great town meeting push- no shooting in backyards- personal politics in town—what it makes Alice choose as far as representing opinions

28:04 Alice’s take on the sidewalk initiative—who’s for, who’s against, who’d have to pull the weight

29:15 Vermont growth- what it will mean for Starksboro—Alice does NOT think it’s a bad thing- but where should it happen?  At least it should be clustered somewhere, she says

30:35 New people coming in- how it is often not a choice for older families, how criticizing them is ridiculous.  Development is going to happen- fights will occur over the farmland in the hamlet.

32:48 Conservation initiatives in Starksboro that work- the farm/gravelpit/sportsfield deal.

34:30  Even if farms are conserved, if they can’t make it, they’re useful- is conserving farms actually at all considered valuable- Alice certainly doesn’t seem nostalgic for working farms.

36:11 The old roads issue- rights of way no longer even visible- old town roads, ancient roads- issues in real estate transfers, issue of mapping the roads, getting rid of old ones, while maintaining the rights of way.

37:00 the importance of trails to Alice and others- the trails she uses in Starksboro

39:15 Alice’s opinion on conserving farms- sometimes, conserving farmland simply fails because of lack of upkeep- financially.  She sees danger of development through purchase.  The risk- loosing land to an owner who wants to keep everyone off

40:10 Sharing land between neighbors in Starksboro- a real central part of town identity.

40:30 absent owners from other states giving land use and passage to those that live there- generous use of land from ‘foreigners’

43:32  “that’s where we have our problems, with our representatives”  –contradictions with how they represent the town.  Liberal/conservative dichotomy

44:42 The representatives, trust funds, and the reputation people have in South Starksboro

45:20 What do you see the town being like in 20 years?

Bigger, more community involved, the village being more of a central gathering space

What it would take- fighting zoning

A park and ride

A bus route to Burlington and Hinesburg

47:50  Escaping 10 acre developments with planning, working with conservation, and OTHER folks- always maintaining a mix

49:00 the creeping of businesses outside of metropolis towards Starksboro, Munkton, and the like- from Burlington, from Middlebury

50:15  what allowed Starksboro to build the new town center- a town architect helping out, and reducing the fees HUGELY because of keeping planning INTERNAL instead of EXTERNAL- New Haven failed because of this, while Starksboro prevailed- the importance of influence in decision making inside the town.  The risk of overplanning.

54:20 Dan and Alice working together in town meeting- cute!

55:00 Alice and Dan’s history- a really cute story about dating from the first day from of College.  Asking everyother girl to dance.

1:56 talking about con artists- how they really can bring you in.  How Dan and Alice’s con artist got busted!