10.2 Thoughts

I feel as though I’m not alone in saying that I’m interested in every topic we’ve discussed. I agree completely with Hilary, however, better to come out with quality than quantity! Audio editing can be very time consuming!

One thing I think we need to keep in mind is that as we’re conducting interviews we need to be thinking creatively. Last Tuesday our group was commenting after about how difficult it was to come up with questions at times because we were so intent on what the person was saying — which I think is so great because it means we’re really invested. But rather than come in with loads of questions or worrying about asking the right questions, I think we should act more as guides to the interview. We need to feed off of our interest and curiosity. When someone tells a story about boiling maple syrup for the first time and having wall paper peel off the walls, that’s a fabulous image. I feel that in interviewing you can never be too redundant. Asking the same question 4 different ways just to get a good feel for details and/or flush out an anecdote will pay dividends later when we’re putting together a piece and/or compilation. 

Looking ahead, I’d love to collaborate on the final mapping/story book projects. But personally I think I’d like to do some in depth interviewing with two or three people and really make a quality piece(s).

I’d be really interested in doing some work with Stonewall Mason and one or two other “institutions” in Starksboro, possibly spanning generations. I’m thinking some kind of photo/audio essay, and possibly some narrative writing. 

Mobile homes is still of interest to me as well. Maybe a follow up with the Coons on the contacts?

Also, 

For people doing forest/conservation and more place-based stories, it might be interesting to narrate that story as well. That is to say sounds — dripping water, wind, leaves…. http://www.quiteamerican.org is a site made by this guy who’s traveled the world recording sounds. Sound might not be a replacement for travel, he writes, but it might have the ability to transport you somewhere. I have a friend who’s actually produced music with sounds, sawing wood, spitting kettles, etc….check it out!

Photography:

I took a documentary photo course while in Buenos Aires. Our big question was: how do you represent someone solely through image? Here’s some great links our professor sent us!

www.zonezero.com — Go to the Galleries. particularly check out 8 lives (this is similar to what we’re doing…only more of a photo essay with accompanying articles). Some of the work is super alternative, personally I find that Gabby Messina’s work is also stunning, I love Grand Women. 

http://www.elangelcaido.org/fotografos/fotografos.html – including dorothea lange but also some great contemporary photographers.