About Me

My CV (pdf) is available here. Current_CV_Sept 27, 2012

I graduated with a BA and honors from Ohio Wesleyan University in the International Studies Program. I completed my dissertation: Transnational Networks and the Promotion of Conservationist Norms in Developing Countries at the University of Massachusetts, Amherst in the Department of Political Science.

My dissertation examined the role that epistemic communities, or networks of scientists sharing an epistemology and rationale for action, play in influencing environmental governance in developing countries.  I tested the impact of market liberalism on the way in which epistemic communities frame their arguments to policymakers and environmental managers.  My field research was funded by the NSF Division of Social and Economic Sciences, and carried out in Jamaica, Mexico and Egypt.  In these three countries, I studied biodiversity management projects carried out pursuant to the Convention on Biological Diversity. My research was carried out using qualitative research methods, developed in part at the 2006 Consortium of Qualitative Research Methods in Tempe, AZ.

I have presented papers based on my research at interdisciplinary conferences and been published in an edited volume examining environmental vulnerability in the Caribbean.  Most recently, at the 69th Annual Midwestern Political Science Association Conference, I presented “Barriers to Knowledge,” a working paper on authoritarianism and environmental management in Egypt at the section on Science and Policymaking.  At the same time, I also chaired the section on Interest Group Influence on Policymaking, and served as a discussant on a panel titled “Dynamics of Sustainable Development,” which explored local natural resource management in developing and industrialized countries.   In 2012, I will be going to the 53rd Annual Conference of the International Studies Association, where I will present a paper titled “Grounding Claims to Knowledge” that examines the construction of knowledge and sustainable development arguments around the management of reefs along the Yucatán Peninsula in Mexico.

This year, I am offering Introduction to International Relations, International Environmental Politics, Comparative Environmental Politics, and a seminar titled Transnational Transformation and the Environment.  In addition to environmental policy and politics, my research and teaching interests include: Comparative Political Economy, Politics in Latin America and the Caribbean, Middle Eastern Politics.  Due to my interests, my research and classes at Middlebury College can be counted towards majors in Political Science, International Studies, Environmental Studies, and International Political Economy.