Week 12 Day 2 Discussion Question 4

Chanel Miller is a visual artist as well as a writer. Discuss the short film she made with Emily Moore. How does the film, as an audio-visual medium, enhance the message Miller communicates in her Victim Impact Statement and in her memoir?

2 thoughts on “Week 12 Day 2 Discussion Question 4

• May 4, 2022 at 12:37 pm
    Permalink

This video is extremely impactful and something I think we all should watch. I find it hard to use cold, academic language to analyse it due to the profundity of the emotional response I had to the video. Perhaps that is how it enhances the message Miller communicates in her Victim Impact Statement and in her memoir. While reading extracts from both has a similar effect, there is nothing quite like hearing the story being told by Miller herself, seeing her face. It only serves to complement the sincerity of her account and immerses the viewer in the Victim Impact Statement in a way that, as someone who has never experienced sexual assault, helped provide insight into the human toll it takes. Focusing on protecting the human aspect of victims, not just their legal rights, is something Miller emphasizes. It is a nuance that is there but hard to grasp fully in her memoir and victim statement and is made abundantly clear in a very short time in this video. I can whole-heartedly say this has been the most impactful source I have been exposed to in any class.

• May 4, 2022 at 2:20 pm
      Permalink

Yes, I agree with James’ opinion. Reading her Victim Impact Statement and memoir is very different from actually listening to her voice and seeing her face in the short film. The impact of her words hits differently when you actually see her.