The Hertog Foundation has opened applications for some exceptional, paid learning opportunities in Washington, DC for Summer 2018.  Hertog is a political education philanthropy with offices in DC and New York, and is dedicated to the support of programs in American intellectual, civic, and political thought.  All the details in Handshake here:  https://app.joinhandshake.com/jobs/1143377

Sydney Fuqua ’13 talks about her experience as an intern and now a staff member at Hertog

sydneyDuring my junior year, an older MiddKid and friend recommended I talk to Professor Murray Dry about the Hertog Political Studies Program. It was some of the best advice I’ve ever been given.

For six weeks in Summer 2012, the Hertog Foundation provided me with a full scholarship to live and study in Washington, DC. I joined a group of 51 fellows, living at George Washington University and participating in morning classes on political philosophy and policy. Under the guidance of leading scholars and practitioners, we read classic texts and debated public policy. During afternoons, we heard from guest lecturers such as columnists David Brooks and Charles Krauthammer, scholar William Galston, and political commentator Juan Williams. We even visited the Supreme Court and met with Justice Antonin Scalia.

As an undergraduate Political Science and Economics double major, Hertog helped me connect my study of political philosophy with my interest in contemporary politics. I learned how theory and practice interact, and that policy debates are often informed by the big ideas we explore and debate as undergrads.  Hertog offers a place to discuss these ideas with the people who make and influence policy. They cover living expenses in DC and ask only that you to read and discuss thoughtfully.

Today, I work as a Program Manager with the Hertog Foundation. We are currently recruiting outstanding undergraduates and recent grads to join us next summer for either the full seven-week Hertog Political Studies Fellowship or shorter seminars within the program. All offerings include tuition, housing, course materials, and a stipend. Our courses cover a range of topics, including Literature and Politics, American Political Thought, War Studies, and political philosophy.

Over the next few months, my colleagues and I will be reviewing applications, answering questions, putting together course readers, working with faculty, and scheduling speakers. I would be thrilled to have a contingent of Middlebury applications to read.