I want to take this opportunity to warmly welcome new and returning students to campus as I prepare to finish up my last semester at Middlebury to take on a new role as executive vice chancellor for strategic initiatives and executive vice provost at Rutgers University – Newark in January. Over the years, I have been heartened by the many connections and conversations I’ve had with Middlebury students, in person and through this blog. You have really kept me on my toes. Middlebury students are thoughtful, talented, and hard-working leaders from around the globe, and the Class of 2018 is not any different. As I stated during the Voices of the Class MiddView Orientation kick off, our community grows in richness and “flavor” with each new class of students and every new staff and faculty member. We couldn’t be happier to have you on campus.

When I started posting to One Dean’s View in the fall of 2010, I talked about wanting the blog to be a place that fosters “conversations about interesting and challenging topics related to student life and to being fully committed members of the Middlebury community.” One Dean’s View became that place for many, with readers and dozens of contributors sharing their thoughtful and provocative voices.

This is my last post, as we place One Dean’s View on hiatus. In the same spirit Tim Spears passed the ODV torch to me, it is my hope that the blog torch will be picked up by the next dean of the College. I’d like to thank you for being such devoted readers and contributors.

Until my departure from Middlebury in early January, you can still come visit me during my open office hours. You should also know that the Office of the Dean of Students, your Commons offices, Student Activities, Parton Center for Health and Wellness, and other Student Life staff are always open to support you and to hear about your ideas, achievements, and proud moments, as well as your challenges.

It has been an honor to serve Middlebury in this critical leadership role. I will hold this place in my heart and work for a lifetime.

Warmly,
Shirley