What do I wear?!

I am sure that all we avid job and internship gurus know what the proper interview attire is, Nantucket reds, purple penny loafers, a cut off white tee, and a cheeseburgers in paradise tie. Correctamundo? Perhaps not. As brought to my attention by the bodacious Carl Daddy himself, most lay-bros and fine ladies don’t know or at least are unsure of what to wear to interviews. My question to you is what do you want to get out of the interview? You want to impress, baby. So how are you going to dress? That’s right, to impress.

Although attire is not the most important component of the interview, it does play a supporting role and the last thing you want is to be dinged before you even sit down and try to answer how many Beluga whales can fit in 86 tricked out Trans Ams. You want your appearance to be noticed as appropriate and fitting, you don’t want your sparkled blazer to take center stage. Remember, this is an interview, you are most likely interested in working or interning at this jump off (the place you are interviewing), and it’s neither a hot date nor a bumping club. Appropriate attire supports your image as a person who takes the interview process seriously and understands the nature of the industry in which you are trying to become employed.

For men and women alike, you got to suit up. A two piece matched suit is always the best and safest choice. You’re going to want to stay on the conservative route for suits. For some reason, last night I had a dream that I was trying to, to no avail, buy a White Suit, and last weekend I successfully sported my yellow threads (yes, I own a yellow suit.) Anywho, navy, dark gray and those types are definitely the best choices. For men, ties are sweet, and you should definitely wear them, but keep it classy. Although a fine lady may think your Bob da Builder tie is super sweet, unfortunately, Gordon Corporate may think it is unprofessional and ding you.

The moral of the story is stay conservative and stay sweet, look sharp, be sharp and make that interviewer know you can dabble with the big dogs. So that’s all I got for interview attire, any questions or concerns, you know who to call, Ghostbusters, baby. Not really, come to CSO, drop ins are from 2-5PM and check out MOJO for new internship and job postings.

Oh yea, beyond our great CSO’s website, you may want to check out Va Tech’s. They have some pretty juicy stuff:

http://www.career.vt.edu/interviewing/InterviewAppearance.html#say