Remezcla.com

Remezcla.com

Sylvia Mendez, 2010

During my January term, I interned with Remezcla, a Latin media company that focuses on local Latino culture in five different cities, including: New York City, Miami, Los Angeles, San Francisco and Chicago. Unlike other Latin media outlets, Remezcla covers the local Latino scenes of these cities in addition to up-and-coming artists, musicians, filmmakers, and other Latino movers and shakers. As an intern, I researched events relevant to Latino culture in those five cities. I also wrote about music shows and other happenings across the country and in New York City in their blog called “El Daily Remix”. I also contributed content to the Myspace Latino music page, where they feature new up-and-coming artists every week. I greatly enjoyed interning with Remezcla because they provided me hands-on experience in the Latin music and media industry, while giving me space to use my own creativity.  In my five weeks at their Williamsburg office, I learned a few important things.

Firstly, in order to stand out, you must provide your audience with interesting and original content. Remezcla has been successful because they filled a void that existed among younger Latinos. Remezcla in itself arose when two Colombia University friends, Nuria Net and Claire Frisbie, realized that there was no outlet that listed or talked about local Latino concerts or events. Before the days of Remezcla, media giants like Telemundo, MTV, Univision dominated Latin media, but provided a very limited scope of the culture. Therefore, they joined forces and have been developing Remezcla ever since as the website’s co-editors-in-chief. Most often, Latino culture is misunderstood; so most people think that it consists of Shakira belly dancing, Ricky Martin’s living la vida loca and Chipotle burritos. In reality, a fresh scene of emerging Latino musicians, artists and writers is alive. Remezcla audience consists of young bilingual Latinos professionals and students who refer to Remezcla for their smart and hip content. The recent culture that has been developing among young Latinos (who are often first-generation American) is interesting because if combines aspects of their Latin American culture with their own experience living in these bustling cities. Now other companies, like MTV, which recently launched MTVtres (a Latino oriented music channel), has picked up the trend.

In my five weeks interning, I recognized that the best way to develop news and discover rising movements is by exploring your own environment. Remezcla produces original content through contributors from all five cities. My best ideas for blogs and articles came from attending concerts or taking a closer look at what I saw around me. As part of the internship, I surveyed the Latino culture of two different neighborhoods, El Barrio in uptown Manhattan and Jackson Heights, Queens by spending afternoons in those spots. I looked out for places where people were hanging out; parties, concerts, and performances in neighborhood venues; and any circulating publications. In checking out the neighborhood, I discovered the El Barrio has a strong environmental movement already in place among its Latino inhabitants. Moreover, I also wrote about a Brooklyn-based band called Contramano, who I would have never discovered without attending their show.

Finally, by observing the co-editors-in-chief and CEO at work, I realized that the best way to conduct business is by making relationships with people wherever you go. Remezcla works at different levels. They often feature small restaurants, businesses and unknown bands, while working with large giants like Microsoft and Myspace. Making connections with others you come across is important because you never know when you can collaborate with them in the future. Putting yourself out there and going out to events in order to meet people is crucial in the music and entertainment business. Every day and event is an opportunity to meet new people and learn about what they do. No matter how talented you are, you also need to promote yourself and get your name out.

Overall, I had an amazing time at Remezcla. I feel extremely grateful for the opportunity they gave me to put myself out there by contributing to their website. I have developed an eye for looking at people and projects and seeing the bigger picture. Most importantly, I have found a new appreciation for my own cosmopolatino culture in New York City. The cosmopolatino scene in these five cities and throughout the U.S. will only continue to thrive. Check it out for yourself by going to www.Remezcla.com .

Contact the Career Services Office for more information on this internship.