Response to the story of Ben Platt, Fisherman

The DC FoodWorks group spent this Monday learning about sustainable seafood. We met with two large research organizations: Oceana and the National Fish and Wildlife Foundation. We talked about the various strategies environmental groups are taking to clean up the world’s waters, from oceans to the Chesapeake Bay, and we discussed various sustainable fishing regulations that these organizations are promoting. Regulations include bans on certain types of gear or restrictions on how much fish can be caught from a certain fishery.

Our meetings today were extremely interesting and the people we talked to were so smart and thoughtful. We didn’t, however, meet with any fishermen. Ben Platt, whose story is featured on the Why Hunger website, speaks about the importance of fishermen’s opinions in creating fishery policies not just the opinions of big organizations. Catch quotas are being imposed in Ben’s fishery and Ben says that this will actually have a negative impact on both the environment and the fishermen with small operations. Ben says that larger boats will begin going after species, such as crab, that they do not typically go for but that are important to Ben’s fishing operation. These larger boats will put Ben out of business and could wipe out the crab population. This story reminded me of the importance of working alongside people in a community when implementing regulations or policies in that community. There is never one solution that will fit all cases.

Another thing that Ben’s story reminded me of was the importance of small businesses. Ben talks about supporting small fishing operations—if there are more, smaller boats on the water, more crew members will be hired, and more on-shore supporting jobs will be created. This made me think of my job at Union Kitchen. Union Kitchen supports the growth of small food businesses, from start-up catering companies to ice cream makers. One of the facts that Union Kitchen is most proud of is that is has created over 400 jobs through its own operation as well as its member businesses. A business may start with only one person and an idea, but at Union Kitchen that business will hopefully grow until the owner can hire a few employees, and then eventually open a storefront and hire even more employees. When businesses “graduate” from Union Kitchen, they make way for other aspiring business owners.

2 thoughts on “Response to the story of Ben Platt, Fisherman

1. Finally, someone brought up the topic of small business. I think that taxes collected on small businesses are the foundation of many civilized countries. I can vouch for this information because I recently wrote a research paper on a similar topic, and I used a professional writing service. I am confident in the quality of this service. I chose this service with the help of a review https://bestwritersonline.com/ . These guys always provide honest reviews of writing services, and I trust their opinion.

2. What illuminating connections you draw here, Nina! Tying your Fifth Day on sustainable seafood to the story of Ben Platt brings the issue of quotas and other public policies into sharp focus. There are lives and communities at stake here, and a delicate balance to maintain. I was interested, too, in your link to the internship at Union Kitchen. Job-creation isn’t necessarily an issue that is considered in academic discussions, and it needs to be.

I wish you very well as you wrap up your undergraduate work in environmental studies.