Bananas and Philosophy

I am an individual who is attempting to eat healthy, ethical, “good” foods, but with our current food system, it can be really complicated. All of the authors we read present the world’s current food system in a way that attests to the confusion I have. I am still developing what I like to call my food “philosophy” (i.e. what I will and will not eat and my reasoning behind my choices), but all the information and claims about food that exist confuse me and make me wonder if eating good food is even possible.

It can be overwhelming to think about eating food that is good for me, the environment, and other people because there are just so many factors that play into eating one food; then add all the other foods I have to eat because I’m an omnivore, and it gets even more complicated . Petrini also sheds light on (and Pollan mentions about the French) the fact that food should bring pleasure. I thoroughly believe that everyone should enjoy food, but it usually comes at a cost. I get excited about food trends and trying weird food combinations like fennel ice cream or spicy chocolate, but sometimes I have to step back and think about other people who may not have this pleasure. As an Italian, Petrini probably puts a huge emphasis on pleasure because eating without it is akin to committing a crime in his culture. It may be at the cost of another person, but as Pollan mentioned, cultures that take pleasure in food are often healthier and have a better relationship with their food.

During these readings, I also couldn’t help but think of bananas. Yes, I know, it’s an odd thing to think about, but I love them! I don’t think I could ever give up bananas. The taste is unique and they contain the perfect amount of sweetness, and I typically have at least one everyday. But, there is a problem with bananas: they will never be a local food because most climates in the United States don’t support banana growth (Hawaii might be an exception). I would like to eat foods that aren’t exploiting the labor of someone else or being transported miles and miles (harming our environment); I would also like to know where my food comes from, but that is extremely difficult when it is being exported thousands of miles or even continents away. Even though I may never have a local banana or know much about where it comes from, I just don’t know that I could give them up, and eating a banana might technically contradict my developing food philosophy.

Pollan asks readers to try to be local, humane, and just whenever possible because sometimes sourcing real food is too difficult to find. In another one of his books, he attempts to make a meal from ingredients he sourced himself and found making that meal to be extremely difficult. Our society is far removed from agriculture and farming (as Berry points out) that having a good food all the time is impossible, but we can attempt to change by avoiding processed, unjust foods whenever and wherever possible. So, I guess for now I’ll have to live with my mysterious bananas.

One thought on “Bananas and Philosophy

1. This comment is a bit late, but I can completely relate to this. I sometimes spend an absurd amount of time wandering around the supermarket faced with these questions: What do I want? Is it good for my body? Can I make a meal out of it? But then I spiral into this question of morality especially around the coffee section. Sometimes I don’t have the money to spend on fair trade coffee which can be pretty pricey. It takes a lot of planning to buy products that one feels good about, especially on a college students budget.