The Middlebury Landscape

Art Around Campus

Filed under: Outdoor Art,Uncategorized — Tim Parsons at 7:03 pm on Tuesday, May 12, 2009  Tagged ,

Around the end of the term, our department starts seeing all sorts of outdoor art appear out of nowhere. It generally seems to involve trees, with varying degrees of consternation on our part. (yeah, I worry too much) Truthfully, most of the art is very respectful of the trees, and the environment, and disappears as quickly as it is born.

Once in a while, though, a particular piece jumps out. I don’t know the artist, the class, or the professor, but hats off to this piece. Next to one of our favorite trees, a massive Black Willow disintegrating before our very eyes, this piece (don’t even know the name) has captured, I think, the spirit of the surrondings perfectly. I’m no critic, and the only art classes I’ve had are in landscape design, but I know what I like. And, to whoever made this piece, well, I’ll quote my grandfather when I’d graduated high school. “You done good”.

1 Comment »

1.    Fenton Glass — May 28, 2009 @ 2:38 pm   

Howdy, I stumbled on your site a number of weeks ago and have read all the info steadily. I thought should make my first comment. Not really sure what to write but anyway. Cool website. Will call back in a bit to hear what else youve got to say.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. The Middlebury Landscape » My Brief Career as an Art Critic
  2. Black Willow : The Middlebury Landscape

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI