Employing Students This Academic Year
Posting Your Position Online
All positions that are hiring new students (with the exception of Research Assistants) are posted online. Having a central place for students to go in their search for on campus employment will allow them to view the position’s description, provide a clear outline of the process by which students are considered for a specific position and will ensure equal access to employment opportunities.
See Using PeopleAdmin in the Supervisor Tool Box at go/seo for instructions.
Postings will be made visible to students on September 4. The week before classes begin and during the first two weeks of school, students that have been awarded Federal Work Study funds or a College Job as part of their financial aid package will have the chance to apply for posted jobs on campus. All other students must wait to begin applying until Monday, September 25. The intent is to assist students with a demonstrated financial need to obtain a job that best meets their needs. (Yes, it is okay to ask a student if they received Federal Work Study or a College Job.) If you are rehiring a student that has worked for you previously, or for research purposes, financial aid status is not relevant.
Blue Employment Cards
Student employees MUST complete the federally required I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification form and a W-4 tax withholding form in order to work. Once these forms have been completed (this only needs to be done once!) the student will receive a blue employment card indicating that they are eligible to work for the College. Blue cards, once issued, are valid until the student graduates. Students that have NOT received their blue card CANNOT work.
- All, non-research assistant, position openings must be posted in PeopleAdmin. Supervisors are also encouraged to utilize PeopleAdmin’s Applicant Tracking module which allows students to apply online to a posted position.
- Student employees are limited to working no more than 20 hours per week in on-campus jobs during the academic year, with the exception of full-week recesses.
- Supervisors who opt not to use the Applicant Tracking module in PeopleAdmin will need to complete an Electronic Personnel Action Form (EPAF) in BannerWeb for all students hired to work during the academic year. Supervisors who opt to use the Applicant Tracking module will only need to EPAF new hires, returning students who did not work the prior year or are not returning until after the fall term, and returning students who have been promoted to another position.
- The Jobs Effective Date in the EPAF should be the first day that the student will begin working in the ’17-’18 AY; this must be 09/11/2017 or later.
- Certain positions require pre-employment screenings and/or PCI Training as identified in the position’s job description in PeopleAdmin. Any offers of employment for positions that require pre-employment screenings and/or PCI Training are contingent upon their completion. Students may NOT begin working until all required pre-employment screenings and/or trainings have been successfully completed.
- Supervisors are encouraged to hire only financial aid recipients until September 25.
For more information go to: http://www.middlebury.edu/offices/business/seo/toolbox. Feel free to call x5377 or email email@example.com with any questions!