Podcast: “The Hater”

I intend to keep looking around for entertaining new podcasts to look at as models as we move into our next project, but this week, I took our prompt as an excuse to look into a podcast I’ve been meaning to check out for a while: “The Hater”, produced by AV Club contributor Amelie Gilette and posted on the AV Club website. The Hater also consists of a blog fed through avclub.com, and it’s quite hilarious; in the snarky world of AV Club’s culture reporting, Gilette seems to be the snarkiest of all.

This certainly extended to her podcast, which were almost too snarky for my taste.  Each week, she invites a guest (usually another AV/Onion staffer) and they basically shit on celebrities and silly symptoms of commercialism for 15 minutes.  It’s quite funny, but it doesn’t amount to much…it’s not really so different from conversations I might have with my friends, except these people are very practiced at having these sorts of conversations and are therefore extra good at making fun of silly things that come out of Hollywood.  Nevertheless, it was a pleasant diversion, with a lot of lines that got me LOLING, so to speak (e.g. Amelie on the Comedy Central roast of Joan Rivers: “Basically every joke was a variation on one of three themes: 1. Joan Rivers is old.  2. Her vagina: also old.  3. She has had lots of surgery that makes her crazy in the face.”)  Quite funny, but I think I’ll post about a more substantive podcast in the future.