Welcome to class

Here’s a thread to introduce yourselves – and make sure that you’re properly registered for the site. Login using your Midd ID in the upper right corner of the page, and then reply to this thread with a brief introduction of who you are, and what are you looking forward to in this class.

12 thoughts on “Welcome to class

1. Sofia Zinger

Hi! I’m Sofia and I’m from New York City. I am looking forward to playing video games and looking at them from a different perspective, and after today I am also looking forward to pursuing my viewing of Trapped in the Closet. I am taking History of Audiences as well, and I think that a lot of things between the two classes may overlap because of how important it is to consider the audience’s interpretation of the means of storytelling. This overlap is something that intrigues me a lot, and I can’t wait to see how it plays out. The screenings look really exciting as well, and I’m just generally excited for the discussions!

2. Joshua Aichenbaum

Hello all. I’m Josh from right outside of Philadelphia (Lower Merion, to be exact). I’m also really really looking forward to seeing the rest of Trapped in the Closet, a true classic, and, although not a gamer myself, I can’t wait to discover the possibilities of videogame storytelling, and, more specifically, to investigate how temporal and spatial elements affect gameplay and narrative.

3. James Landenberger

Hi I’m James from Newfane, Vermont (southern, near Brattleboro). I watch a lot of films but not much TV, and I’m definitely not a gamer. I’m interested in seeing how narrative strategies adapt to their medium, and why in particular the medium requires them to adapt. I’m especially interested in the interactivity of the video game narrative. …kind of nervous about having to BEAT a game though.

4. Nora Sheridan

Hey guys, I’m Nora from Charleston, West Virginia. Obviously, I’m pumped to improve my (totally non-existant) gaming skills. Also, I’m excited to see what opportunities each medium can uniquely offer, and how storytellers use their chosen medium to best convey what they want to say–especially when it comes to video games, because I’d never really thought of them as stories before this.

5. Matthew Yaggy

Hey, I’m Matt and i’m from New York City. I’m looking forward to playing through portal and another game while looking at them narratively. I’m looking forward to watching Mulholland Drive which I’ve never seen before and to re-watching The Prestige. I’m also excited to talk about Lost in a class setting as it was one of my favorite shows when it was on TV.

6. Andrew Silver

Hey, I’m Andrew from Stamford, CT. My parents always told me my gaming hobby would be a detriment to my education. I intend to make them eat their words. I’m also excited to discuss narrative techniques and functions outside of movies, something my other film classes have only briefly touched upon. The screening list looks awesome as well (I never thought I’d get to discuss 12 monkeys in a classroom setting).

7. Bianca Giaever

Hi, I’m Bianca from Seattle. I’m very interested in the different purposes that stories can serve. Throughout this class I will be thinking about the various ways I can use these narrative techniques. I’m glad our class is so small.

8. Patricia

Hello everyone! My name is Patti and I am senior from New York City majoring in Film in Media Culture. I am very much looking forward to learning more about the differences as well as the similarities of narrative across the various forms of media (film, television, video games). I am also extremely excited for our screenings as we will be watching both things that I have not yet seen (and have been wanting to) as well as several that I very much enjoy!

9. James Stepney

Well, my name is James Stepney and I’m a Film and Media Culture major. I aspire to be a director, editor, cinematographer, and screenwriter sometime in the near future. I’m more than fascinated with the creative process and have devoted most of my time to hone my skills. Over the last couple of years, I’ve spent my time trying to develop a knowledge of simple structure to create a story for audiences to become enveloped into, but with this class I would like to go deeper and understand the elemental components that create such a structure. From this class I wish to fully understand, as Jason mentioned on the first day, how a narrative is created, as opposed to what makes a narrative.

I just hope I can keep up with you guys 🙂

10. Dustin Schwartz

Hello! I’m Dustin and I’m from Queens, New York. I’m really looking forward to studying the cells of narrative because I feel that this class will give me the opportunity to uncover a deep abstract layer of narrative that will be beneficial some day to manipulating it within my own creation. I will also, of course, enjoy playing video games.

11. Michael Suen

Hi all, I’m Michael. I was born in LA, but have lived in Hong Kong for half my life. I’m an English major, but don’t hold it against me. I’ve taken a solid number of FMMC courses, including Professor Mittell’s course on “The Wire” last year, and have since become really interested in the critical study of storytelling. I’m also an aspiring writer (a television or video game writer sounds like a dream job, am I right?), so I’m excited to investigate how all different kinds of narratives are constructed and experienced.

12. Ralph Acevedo

Hi,I’m Ralph Acevedo. I am a Film and Media Culture major and I am very interested in motion pictures as storytelling medium. I am more broadly interested in storytelling across multiple platforms and I feel that the knowledge that I take away from this class would be pertinent to understanding the human experience in general. I am also taking a course on comic books from Latin America, which together with this class, expand as well as deepen my knowledge of how narrative works.