Further thoughts on remix assignment?

Great job on the remix videos today! Every group did something original and effective, exceeding my expectations across the board.

I’d love to offer a continued forum to discuss the assignment, reflect on how such work helps you understand concepts in class in different ways, and any suggestions for future remix assignments. Also, each group should upload a copy to the web, either on MiddMedia or YouTube – the latter might get taken-down, but also might go viral. I plan on writing a post on my own blog about the assignment and want to link to your work, so post the link on this thread.

9 thoughts on “Further thoughts on remix assignment?

1. Sofia Zinger

Ditto to Josh’s link.
    I actually really loved all of the video remixes! Everyone did such a good job and all of them were so different. It never really felt like the remixes were forced or in any way stilted, and people really changed the meaning of the stories to something completely different. I was particularly impressed with the class’ use of sound. For instance, Michael and Dustin’s sound mixing of the telephone was great, and Nora and James completely changed a scene by using sound from the rest of the film. Matt and Andrew used the very little footage and sound of Tesla to completely change the story, which must have been very difficult, and Ralph and James inserted some great sound bytes to make a really funny video. I think that Patti and Bianca did a great job of completely removing the fact that Locke can’t walk from the plot, which is difficult to do when it’s such a huge part of the actual show.
    Great job, everyone! I’m super proud.

2. Dustin Schwartz

Video should be posted soon, as soon as I know how to handle Midd Media… Sorry for the inconvenience.

I think that editing allowed for Mike and I to really reflect on what we learned this past semester. We were concerned with how we can really turn the fabula around, whether it be by changing the focalization, the time and space, the character, etc. We entertained the idea of not making Charlie a writer at all, keeping Charlie the sole Kaufman, dating a lot of women, etc. Editing the film really reminded of the Annie Hall article about how important editing is in changing the events and focus of the story.