In his most recent display of poor diplomacy, Deputy FM Danny Ayalon snubbed an American congressional delegation visiting Israel today with J Street.

After the incident last month with Turkey’s ambassador to Israel, I’m honestly surprised (though I shouldn’t be) that Mr. Ayalon had the chutzpah to essentially give the diplomatic finger to an American congressional delegation simply because he doesn’t agree explicitly with the group hosting them in Israel.  Moreover, the notion that J Street is misrepresenting itself by identifying as “Pro-Israel” is simply ludicrous.  Admittedly, J Street has a specific political agenda, but in plain English in their statement of principles, they declare: “J Street represents Americans, primarily but not exclusively Jewish, who support Israel and its desire for security as the Jewish homeland.”

Ayalon’s narrow world view and petty politics are getting old as far as I’m concerned.  Its time to get some fresh blood into the most important chairs of Israel’s Foreign Ministry.

An aside:

J Street, a relatively new lobby in Washington, describes itself as Pro-Israel, Pro-Peace.  For those interested (and I’m plugging my own group here a bit), check out J Street U Middlebury, an affiliate group here on campus.