Really, Podcasts?

Personally podcasts are not my forte. A mix of radio and blogs, podcasts are for those who have an hour-plus to dedicate to listening to the opinions of one or a few people. Podcasts are an uninterrupted continuous stream of sound, unlike radio there are no commercials, but it is also prerecorded so you are unable to call in to respond. Similar to blogs, you are only able to affect the content of podcasts by leaving comments, in a forum, message board, etc.

In my opinion the average person listens to radio shows when it is convenient, i.e. when they are in the car, at the gym, or the occasional obligatory listen to their friend’s radio show. In the age of iPods where radio is pretty much fading into the background, who must ask: are podcasts really necessary? I mean who is going to take the time to download a podcast before they hit the gym when they can just listen to their own music or the radio. Podcasts lack a level of accessibility that is essential in today’s fast paced world of snap decisions, so for a podcast to be especially popular I feel like it needs to add something that other mediums lack and as far as I can tell it doesn’t.

Who knows maybe I will change my mind in the future but for now I am not a fan of podcasts. For those of you that like podcasts, check out this one about pop culture issues http://www.keithandthegirl.com/, it’s actually really popular, like multiple people have tattoos of the podcast’s logo. I don’t get it, personally if I have an hour and even when I don’t I’d choose television over podcasts anyday.