Last counseling room- Adams branch painted

The last counseling room was painted on Saturday 20th August. It was painted with the help of three students from Dagoretti high school: Conrad Gitare, Chris Hani and Gordon Junior.

I was impressed by these guys drawing skills but what really took me aback and deeply touched me was their willingness and even sacrifice for this project. Dagoretti high school closed for the holidays on Friday 19th, so this meant I had to trust that these boys  were going to leave their respective homes and show up in Adams for the project(for the other branches, I picked up the students from their respective schools and returned them after the project.) To be honest, I was psychologically prepared in case they did not show up. But imagine the surprise when I received a phone call, a few minutes to 9am,  just as I was leaving my own house, confirming that two of them had already arrived. These boys woke up early, got ready, used their own bus fare, came even prepared with their own painting brushes…I could not be more grateful!

Joining them too were a few girls from my former high school precious Blood Riruta: Twafle Abdulla, Jackie wambui and Nyaguthi.

The project began at around 10:30 am and was completed at around 5:00pm.

Day’s highlights

Of course the boys showing up!

Having the executive director GVRC Grace Wangechi and the Programs manager, Medical and psychosocial support, Alberta wambua join us in the painting.

Again, having my mum and my best friend Beda around, livening the mood of the place, supporting me, filling in for me when I was up and about running errands and also ensuring everything was running smoothly and quickly.

Day’s lows

Having to terminate one of the contracts with the people I was working with. That was really really hard!

Before...

Left: GVRC'S Executive director, Grace Wangechi

From left: John Chege GVRC, the painter- Kim, Ansally, Gordon Junior, Chris Hani, Conrad Gitare and Twafle Abdulla

The result....

the result...