Writing tips: some tips for excellent writing

Let’s use this spot on our blog to exchange ideas about excellent writng.  Mikaela and I will use this blog entry to ad our own thoughts; please use the comments section to add your own …

Here are some of my first comments:

1.  When you want to emphasize a point, don’t be afraid to use an imperative sentence (as opposed to a declarative sentence: see this helpful ‘purpose of a sentence‘ from the writing center at the University of Ottawa.)  Contrast:

• ‘You should even go a step further by upgrading to energy efficient appliances’

with

• ‘Go a step further by upgrading to energy efficient appliances’

2.  Make sure that your subjects agree.  Avoid paragraphs that jump back and forth between sentences that begin with ‘you’ and ‘we.’

3.  Avoid too many exclamation points.

4.  Keep an eye out for the possibility of a parenthetical phrase.  Here’s a good example from the last assignment:

• Movement building truly has the potential to solve (you read that correctly, solve) global warming …

5.  Vary the length and style of your sentences.  This is really important.  By not doing so, you risk losing your reader’s attention.

3 thoughts on “Writing tips: some tips for excellent writing

1. Rachel Callender

I have always found it useful when writing to, after I have finished my piece, re-read it and ask myself whether I would like to read my own paper if I was the reader; in doing so I consider the purpose of the piece (to convince, suggest, propose etc) and ask myself the question: if someone handed me this paper to convince me of something, would i be convinced? and if not, why not? where are the gaps that make this paper good and not excellent?
    then after answering all these questions myself i make the changes that i deem appropriate. but the key has always been to do it LATER…not immediately after writing the paper. Take a day maybe two if you can and re-read it and things will jump out that didn’t when you were writing it.
    Its just something that works for me that I decided to share! =)

2. Charlie Brewer

One thing that I find particularly useful is going back, finding my thesis, and then reading through my paper checking to make sure every paragraph relates to it. I find that sometimes I throw in a section that I think at the time is interesting but not necessarily relevant to the point I am trying to make in a paper. This is only evident when I go back and rethink what the point of every paragraph is. Another step that helps me relate everything back to the thesis is checking topic sentences. Often they are unclear in the first draft, and it generally is the case that I am not even ready to write goods ones until I have finished the paper and know exactly how I have worded my thoughts and how I have arrived at a conclusion.

3. Mikaela Lefrak

Here are a few of my personal favorites:

1. READ YOUR PAPERS OUT LOUD! I can’t restate this enough. It’s just so great, and very useful. Awkward phrases, confusing paragraphs, and typos are much easier to find when you have to read your sentences out loud.

2. Introductory paragraphs are overrated. Now don’t get me wrong, intros certainly have their time and place, and you want to have a few sentences of orientation for your reader. However, the 3/4 page intro paragraphs you wrote in high school, with all their lovely adjectives and flowing sentences, are unfortunately less-loved by college professors. It’s a tragic reality, but it does let you dive right in instead of spending time writing sentences that you know don’t really say anything.

3. To echo what Charlie said, try to go back through your paper after you’ve written it and make sure that each paragraph has a single general, unifying theme. If you try to make three or four different points in one paragraph, you can lose your reader’s attention.

5. Don’t write about something you find boring! Even if your professor only gives you one essay topic, there’s always a way you can spin it to make it about something you find exciting. It might involve doing a bit more research, but you’ll write a better paper and your professor will have more fun reading it if it’s clear that you are writing with enthusiasm. Feel free to email professors to clarify essay questions and ask about how much leeway you have in interpreting the assignment. They usually very much appreciate your interest.