Cultural Food

The idea that we’ve outpaced evolution is truly frightening to me. That technology allows forces us to eat foods that our bodies cannot handle, that we can make ourselves sick just by eating what is available, is disturbing. Our bodies are supposed to be smarter than we are. We are supposed to be self—healing. We feel our eyelids getting heavy when our body needs sleep. We feel pain to keep us from harming ourselves in the same way that we’re built to fear heights and fire and darkness. We’re wired to be hungry when we need sustenance, and to crave the foods that will nurture us best. Nabhan describes in “Cultures of Habitat” a group of people whose bodies cannot support them. We’ve outrun nature, our bodies cannot outsmart us, and that honestly scares me.

This story is just one of many that tragically describes the misfortunes that have been forced upon Native Americans in this country. It really does go to show how different ethnicities have different body compositions and different responses to foods. I think this must have been a factor in how cultural foods are so diverse. I recognize that cultural foods were derived from the environment, but I think cravings and tastes must have come into play.

At work, cultural foods have been somewhat of a discussion lately, but in a different way than I expected. For an accounting procedure, we’ve been discussing the definition of “food” and “associated inedible parts.” The question becomes, where do you draw the line for “inedible”? It’s trickier than you would think because technically all organic parts are edible. Even bones are edible, if you grind them up or use them in soups. So then you have to move into intentionality, what is “intended” to be eaten. And therein lies the issue. Chicken feet are edible in China, but not in the UK. Some Americans might be willing to eat carrot tops in a salad, but that would be an absolute no for Europeans. I think it’s totally fascinating that cultures have developed aversions to foods even though biologically there’s absolutely no reason for it.