Learning the Hard Way: What on Earth Is a Fig?

I remember asking myself that very question during my first day as an intern in DC Greens’s Urban Farm in DC, as my supervisor pointed to the small, bushy trees, and told me they were fig trees. I don’t recall ever seeing a fig, and much less a fig tree, before, so I didn’t give it much thought -until yesterday, when I was trying to figure out what has caused the sudden, annoying blisters on my hands and forearms. On Friday I decided to undertake the task of cutting the fig “suckers” or sprout, and sure enough, the trees seemed to have avenged my arbitrary (ab)use of gardener discretion by burning me with their sap which turns out to be slightly toxic to certain very few people under the “right” conditions. Considering how much effort and hard work I put into my fig pruning endeavors, It is needless to say that I’m not thrilled about the idea of eating a fig or being near a fig tree.

This is just the latest in a series of things that I’ve (re)learned working in this small 3/4 of an acre urban farm: a beehive’s buzz, sun burns, ant bites, sweat (from non recreational/sports activities) and just plain exhaustion after a day of work under the sun.

In light of the readings this week, and my own short and rather soft farming experience this summer, I can only imagine what it’s like to work picking tomatoes, working 60+ a week under the blazing Florida sun without a break for hours. or What is it like for Vermont Dairy farm workers to go to work at 2:00pm and get out at 5 or 6 am the next day? When I learned about both the Immokalee workers movement in Florida (referenced in Lappe’s article) and the farm worker led Milk with Dignity Campaign in Vermont, I couldn’t help but be moved by the stories of these workers because as an immigrant myself It was hard to reconcile that we were so similar, and yet we were in such different situations. Similar problems can be found in other food industries. As some of our readings point out, people in the global south and people of color in “developed” countries have been getting the short end of the stick, and we need to address many bigger factors if we are to effect change and revolutionize society through the food movement. I might be proving Holt-Gimenez right in that people trying to create this change tend to take a limited or narrow approach rather than the broader, more cooperative one we need, or that maybe because we have been brought up in the system we see bigger change as unattainable, but personally, it simply disgusted me to even think I could continue with my privileged life without trying to help these people.

Now, I still don’t know or care much about figs, but I do know (and like) tomatoes and milk, and I think most people do, so why is it that it is so hard to acknowledge the people who harvest these and other foods for us and treat them like humans, with dignity?

2 thoughts on “Learning the Hard Way: What on Earth Is a Fig?

1. Your description of working with the figs reminded me of my first experience picking zucchinis last summer. The stems and leaves are slightly spiny, and after walking through the rows under the hot sun, my legs and arms were covered in scratches and a slight rash that, although it didn’t last very long, gave me a whole new appreciation for the farmers responsible for bringing that vegetable from the field to the table. In terms of improving our food systems, I think farmer appreciation is one of the most important things we can do. Once we recognize the hard work and challenges that farmer’s face, we can get closer to finding creative solutions that are good for both the land and for people.

Also, in terms of a cooperative approach, our fifth day activities today at Sterling College and in Craftsbury, VT showed me that this type of movement has started in some places. We met with someone from High Mowing seed company, who apologized for being slightly late to our meeting and explained that it was because one of their tractors had stopped working. Luckily, their neighbor from Pete’s Greens, the vegetable farm that we had just visited, had already lent them a tractor. This was just the example that we saw, but everyone that we met with today highlighted how important community and cooperation are to that area of Vermont.