The Mantra of “Good, Clean and Fair”

When I think of the local food movement, I draw inspiration from memories of a semester spent in the Tuscan hills of Italy and the voice of a burley Italian professor repeatedly and exaggeratingly preaching that “food-ah must-ah be-ah good-ah, clean-ah and fair-ah”. In one of our readings, Petrini explained this to be the motto of the international eco-gastronomic organization and social movement called Slow Food. Having spent time in Italy working with advocates and members of the Slow Food organization, I was reminded of the connection between this organization and its Italian roots. I can confidently say that the rationale behind this particular local food movement is born of the heart and soul of Italian culture. The Italian culture is one based on respect, rooted in tradition and alive with a lively passion. In Italy, food is not simply a source of fuel or an economic commodity, it is an integrated part of society, a cultural glue, a sacred entity. Farm to fork is less a revolutionary concept and more a societal given. The food system is very dependent on the cultural importance of relationships and personal accountability. Quality of food is very reliant on the maintenance of a consumer-producer relationship as built through community markets, family connections and regional tradition. The national relationship with food can be summed up in a belief that food is a product of many parts of life including culture, politics, agriculture and the environment-all equally important. Food plays an active role in life and is not compartmentalized. Through my time spent in Italy, I have come to take on the motto of Slow Food as that of my own personal belief of what constitutes local food or sustainable food, terms that I believe should be interchangeable. To me this motto, or mantra as I like to refer to it, perfectly describes a holistic perspective on the movement. As explained by Petrini, the concepts of “good, clean and fair” are, and must be, interdependent.