Journal Entry 4

2009/10/19

Journal Entry #4

Lately in our EDST class, we talked a bit about how the classroom setting influences students’ learning experience. Therefore, I reconsidered the class environment for once again this time. I noticed that the classroom seating was not consistent and Ms. Ringquist assigned seating order on biweekly basis most of the time. By doing so, she assures that class pays attention and friends of each other are not destructing the flow of a lesson by consistent off-topic chat. But today, I noticed that the class seemed to be seating in their own wishful order. Probably, Ms. Ringquist agreed on personal preferences to choose partners as long as the students are disciplined. And today they were held on strings properly. I am wondering though if the students will manage to stay like that till the end of the semester.

Overall, it is a good bilateral deal between the teacher and the students, teaching students the idea of a compromise and a mutual agreement. It has, however, a small drawback as well. I noticed that students decided to sit in groups of four, four, three, two and one. That means that in case of a outsider in the class, his or her integration might happen in a more difficult way. The person sitting alone was a girl and according to her behaviour in the class, I suspect she is one of those three juniors Ms. Ringquist told me about. Since the class consists of mostly seniors, a few underclassmen taking the course earlier do not have as many social circles as the upperclassman in that particular class. Today, I sat with a group of two students because it was the first empty seat I found next to the door. But I decided to choose a solitary student the next time so that I might find a bit more about the issue.

Also, I noticed a poster on the wall that is a bit controversial in my opinion. It says: “We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then is not an act but a habit.”  Yes, excellence does not come from its own and practice is necessary, but on the other hand, we cannot say that excellence is a repeated habit. If I keep making my mistakes always all over again, no matter how many times I try to repeat the correct reasoning, I am not going to achieve excellence. But if I stop ignoring my errors and understand the fallacies of my previous reasonings, I am on the right track to achieve excellence.

One thought on “Journal Entry 4