Final Thoughts

So.  The semester is finally coming to a close.  It’s crazy how time flies by — it honestly feels like yesterday I was arriving at Midd with my parents, not sure who anyone was or where I was supposed to go.  So much has changed.  Before I get into the bittersweet endings of the semester, I have a “fun” little experience to share with you all.

Things had been going great, and the end of the semester was shaping up quite nicely after a relaxing Thanksgiving break.  But I didn’t feel like myself all week.  After nearly fainting in the dining hall last Tuesday, I started to get nervous about every little thing.  Eventually there was no one thing making me anxious anymore – it became everything.  I felt lightheaded all week, and really didn’t feel like myself at all.  Which was terrible, because December is my favorite month of the year (Christmas + my birthday!).  As I struggled through each day, I couldn’t do much more than watch movies without feeling terrible again.  On Saturday night, I woke up in a full-blown panic attack, which has to have been the scariest moment of my entire life.

But why is this even on my blog?  Because technology saved me.  When I woke up, I immediately texted one of my friends, who came rushing into my room with three of my other hallmates.  We sat with our CRA for a while, and I texted my mom to let her know I had gotten worse.  Being the absolute saint that she is, my mother left Boston at 3:30 am to come and pick me up.  She got to Midd by 7:30 and packed up all my stuff for break to take me home.  I can’t help but be incredibly thankful for cell phones with this past weekend’s experience.  What would have happened if no one had been there to calm me down?  Would I have been able to make it a few more hours without seeing my mom?  I have no idea.  But I’m so glad that someone was able to develop a mobile technology that keeps us instantaneously connected.  Not only is technology fun, but it’s also really crucial for emergencies.

Not to leave my story on a bad note, I did get back home safely and have seen many doctors who are helping me through everything.  I already feel more like myself — and I haven’t seen the real Meg in quite a while.  Although it really sucks to be missing finals week and not to have had the chance to say goodbye to my friends, I’m glad that I got home when I did and was able to seek help.  A crazy end to a crazy fall.

So now, the wrap up for the semester.  This fall has been full of so many new experiences and opportunities, and I’m surprised we’ve made it this far.  Despite our often sleepy faces after our 3-hour classes on Tuesdays, I would say that this class has helped establish a community between the 15 of us.  I’m glad I had the chance to meet everyone, and I can’t wait to see what happens in our next few years at Midd.  Have a fantastic break, and Merry Christmas!  See you all in J-Term.  Until then, stay classy.

555823_10152070354069349_865761585_n