Because it’s The Cup

No, not the Stanley Cup, The 2014 FIFA World Cup.

The World Cup, or the greatest month of sports, is in full swing and the admissions office has caught on with the excitement. We all have our roles to play in this month of do or die fútbol. Holly is an avid Japan fan. Study abroad, she says, changes who you root for. You can commonly hear her asking about the Japanese and providing commentary like, “they’re gonna win.” Zak is impartial to the World Cup. But my guess is that he’s a die-hard USA fan waiting for the right tour and info session to don his colors. Francesca, our South Africa native, tells tales of the 2010 World Cup and the atmosphere in her home town. While the Bafana Bafana boys are not in this World Cup, Francesca seems to be rooting for her hemispheric neighbors. South American teams like hosts Brazil, Uruguay, and Chile are favorites of Francesca.

Administrative assistant Molly has caught the World Cup fever generally rooting for teams that are easy on the eyes. Manuel Carballo is a big Costa Rica fan. Right now, they’re looking pretty good. He often asks the interns for news or dons his don’t-tell-me-what-the-score-is face.

I am a fan of good soccer and of course the USA. While my favorite team and defending world champions Spain were just eliminated from the tournament, I believe the reign of jogo bonito will take over. Look out for the Brazilians as they shake those nerves and Neymar comes into form.

World Cup fever is contagious on campus. With a great mix of international students and the influx of the language schools students on campus, I am confident that the World Cup excitement will only increase. Out of respect for our language schools students, trash talking in English is out of the question. Although cheering and filling the Grille with all students is encouraged.

Last Monday for the USA’s incredible victory over Ghana, Two Brothers Tavern, right in the heart of the town of Middlebury, hosted a viewing party. Packed to the brim, Middkids, professors, locals, fanatics, and everyone in between got a front row seat to the instant classic. Snacking on discount appetizers and local Woodchuck Cider, fans went wild as John Brooks’ 86th minute header found its way to the back of the net. It was a viewing party for the ages. A small community in a great Vermont town getting together to support the USA was but one of the fun ways the college and town come together in the summer months.