Student Leader Spotlight: John Bowllan, Midd Volunteers

Midd Volunteers, formerly called the Volunteer Service Organization, is a service group that helps students become active in various types of volunteer activities in the Middlebury Community.  Midd Volunteers plans weekly volunteer worksites and holds annual events, such as Trick-or-Treating for canned goods on Halloween and raising money to buy traditional Thanksgiving meal items to donate to the local food shelf at Thanksgiving. Learn more about their work, here.

This week’s Student Leader Spotlight is John Bowllan ’19, the president of Midd Volunteers. 

Why should folks join Midd Volunteers? What will they take away from the experience?  

Midd Volunteers is dedicated to offering students with short-term non committal volunteer opportunities most weekends. The events greatly vary so students can hopefully find events that interest them. Furthermore, students can directly recommend what events they would like to see in the future! All in all, it is a great time to give back to the community and meet some awesome people, Midd students and residents of neighboring communities alike.

Why did you first join Midd Volunteers?

I have always found great joy in giving back. What originally attracted me to join Midd Volunteers (VSO at the time) was the Helen Porter Square Dance. It was some of the most fun I’ve had a Middlebury and I wanted it to continue. During my sophomore year, I attended every weekly event (or two in one weekend), became the Treasurer and, as of this term, ascended to being President.

What has been your most memorable experience as a member of MiddVolunteers?

The Helen Porter Square Dance was definitely the most memorable experience. A great band, enthusiastic dance participants at Helen Porter, and the amazing Midd students that came ultimately made the experience unforgettable.

What have you learned, either about yourself or the world around you, as a member of MiddVolunteers?

I’ve learned that it is important to be grateful for what we are given in life and to put our lives in perspective. Additionally, having an open heart and open mind in you daily life is key to an introspective life.

Where are you from and what’s your major? What other activities are you involved with on campus?

I am from Queens (NYC) and I major in Mathematics. Besides running MiddVolunteers, I play IM Basketball, love to catch up with friends, and read about Machine Learning on the side.