After a period of review and evaluation, Middlebury College adopted Panopto, a new service for creating, storing and sharing video. Panopto has been used since June 2017, with more than 1100 users and 5000 hours of video stored on it currently. In addition, Google Drive and Office 365 offer the ability to store and share video files, at no charge to us. To support these new products, and to reduce operating expenses, ITS needs to decommission MiddMedia and Muskrat, two older systems for storing and sharing video files. Both MiddMedia and Muskrat are less user friendly and lack the functionality of Panopto, Google Drive and Office 365.
- On December 1, 2018 we will turn off the ability to store new files in MiddMedia and Muskrat.
- You will have time until June 1, 2019 to migrate files from Muskrat, and until January 1, 2020 to migrate your files from MiddMedia. We expect most people will be able to migrate videos on their own, but those with more than twenty files can contact us for support.
- Muskrat videos will remain available in read only mode until June 1, 2019 when we will decommission Muskrat.
- MiddMedia videos will remain available in read-only mode until January 1, 2020, to comply with data retention policies for courses. On January 1, 2020 we will decommission MiddMedia.
- For information on how to migrate your files, please visit this page: Move Your Files From MiddMedia to Panopto.