Japan After 3.11 Earthquake

Zhenyu Li: Where was I during 3.11?

During 3.11, I was in Middlebury College as a freshman. I remember I was taking a nap, and I roommate woke me up and said: “Zhenyu, check CNN. There’s huge earthquake in Japan.” So I turned on my mac and got online. I was totally stunned by what I saw in the photos and videos that were being instantly updated:  more than just earthquake there were horrifying scenes that people ran away from the tsunami. As a country located within the frequently-happen earthquake zone, Japan has reputation of very effective counter-earthquake measures, so as I expected, only earthquake itself didn’t bring a terrible disaster. But, a few hours after the earthquake, tsunami hit Japan’s north-eastern coast, followed by dramatically increasing death toll- we didn’t realize this in the U.S. until the next morning as we got more reports on Japan’s situation. Japan wasn’t very prepared for the unexpected tsunami. What’s worse, the nuclear plant explosion came afterwards. That had a profound impact on me as I never realized that how close the danger of nuclear was to our live, which are so vulnerable in front of natural and man-made disasters. At the same time, I lamented the fact that Japan only also suffered from the nuclear bomb during the war but also nuclear contamination even in peaceful time. My heart goes with the Japanese people. Nippon, ganbare! Japanese people, stay strong!