GBF (2013)

“Social warfare erupts when three high school clique queens battle for supremacy: drama diva Caprice, Mormon princess ‘Shley and blonde fashionista Fawcett. When unassuming Tanner is outted, he finds himself cast as the hottest new teen-girl accessory: The Gay Best Friend. The clique queens immediately pounce and makeover Tanner into their ideal arm candy, forcing him to choose between popularity and the true friends – including his own B.F.F. Brent – that he’s leaving behind” (IMDB).

GBF is about Tanner learning more about himself and what he wants as he learns more about his “role” as an outed gay man in his high school. Since he is a white man from an upper-class family he does not have to worry about facing classism and/or racism, allowing him to focus on his future marriage (maybe).

“Look, uh, thanks, everyone, for making me king of this gay prom. […] I don’t want to be king of the gay prom or be a gay best friend or get gay-married. I just want to go to prom, be a friend, and get married, maybe. You all see me more as an object or a symbol. I guess I’ve been guilty of that myself. I used my friends as shields to hide behind. I had friends who cared about me, whether I was gay or whatever…” (GBF, 2013)