David Paolella

Dorchester Bay Economic Development Corporation

When I heard about the Shepherd Internship Program, I was immediately excited at the opportunity to combine my interest in economics and public policy with my desire to do work that improves people’s lives. I was lucky enough to be placed in an internship with Dorchester Bay Economic Development Corporation (DBEDC), a non-profit that specializes in urban economic development in the Dorchester neighborhoods of Boston. While working at DBEDC, I was able to see how a successful non-profit is run and learn how thoughtful economic development in a city can be carried out.

The main project that I was able to learn about and be a part of this past summer was the Quincy Heights redevelopment project. When it closed in the summer of 2013, it was the largest project ever undertaken by DBEDC. The $56 million project is intended to both create jobs and provide vastly improved affordable housing units for the community. The new Quincy Heights housing units will significantly bolster the availability and quality of affordable housing in the neighborhood. In addition to DBEDC’s demonstrated commitment to housing low-income families, the new buildings have been designed to reflect the best practices in environmentally friendly construction and energy efficiency.

This investment is part of a larger effort to revitalize the Quincy Street Corridor, an area with high poverty rates, underperforming schools, and a rate of subsidized housing that is almost twice the citywide level. The new affordable housing units will be complimented by new stations along the area commuter rail line as well as more frequent and cheaper service. The transformation of a former, and currently empty, meatpacking factory into a new food production, distribution, and small business incubation center will allow this project to cohesively address three of the most important objectives of urban development: housing, jobs, and transportation.

David Paolella and other Boston Interns

David Paolella and other Boston Interns

During my time at DBEDC I learned about the important role that the federal, state, and local governments play in economic development of low-income areas. Much of the work that DBEDC does in Dorchester would be impossible without public financial support. I began to see how market-driven investment and growth can discriminate based on geography and demographics. Past historical injustices can lead to future economic injustices, and the government can play an important role in dealing with these market failures. Committed planning and vision at the local level combined with both private and government funding has the power to transform an urban community that may have trouble keeping up with traditionally favored parts of a city.

In the future, both at Middlebury and beyond, I am interested in studying the effectiveness and economic outcomes of domestic and international policies that target growth and development. I see my focus in both economics and geography as a perfect combination for assessing policy, as governments face the tall task of not only designing plans that make economic sense but also figuring out how to apply them over diverse geographic spaces. Having a real world experience this past summer will be valuable as I move forward in my education and career.

David Paolella is a member of the class of 2014.5.