Disconnected

That documentary was made only 5 years ago?!? I felt like I was watching a film from the 90’s, not 2008. Their technology looked ancient. That screening really put into perspective how rapidly technology has changed. These kids were having mental breakdowns about now having a computer! Little did they know, they were barely even scraping the surface of living because they had yet to encounter a smartphone. If only they had known what awaited them in the future.

Although the documentary felt very distant in many ways, even though it was not from too long ago, there were some connections related to my media fast. Computers are highly efficient resources for completing school work and staying up to date with school communities via email. Thus, a day without them meant that I had to plan ahead, print some articles out, and get all online work out of the way. I noticed that in the documentary, the kids did similar activities before putting away their computers. The major difference is the duration during which they went computer-less. It would be extremely difficult to go weeks without my computer because it is so essential to school work, and to get all computer work out of the way is basically impossible. Writing essay by hand or typewriter would be absolutely miserable, and I pity those kids for having to struggle through that.

Thus, I think the portrait demonstrated by this documentary is very relevant in the way it shows the deeply intwined relationship of computer and academics, but I think it lacks relevance in the social capacities of modern digital media. Smartphones have revolutionized digital media. Having a portal to the web along with text messages, email, and phone calls at your finger tips has accelerated smartphones to being the most cherished piece of technology in the social sense. Writing an essay on a smartphone would not be a comfortable or efficient thing to do, but it certainly is the primary way to stay connected and in the social loop. Therefore, this documentary is not totally relevant because the smartphone is now such a huge piece of modern culture.

-Nick

-Nick

One thought on “Disconnected

1. Murphy Roberts

Yeah. Absolutely ridiculous how quickly the smartphone has risen to prominence. I cannot imagine living without my smartphone for that long of a time period. I would not have had the fortitude that these students had to do this. I need my computer for schoolwork.