The “Accessible” Generation and Veronica Mars’ Smarts

First off, I’m new to this blogging experience. I’m kind of excited to write in a new “medium”. In response to the Eric Hoover article, and especially the point at the end made by a college student, yes history tends to repeat itself, but new things also accumulate. However, just as almost every big advance we’ve had in technology has always had an opposing sentiment, the millennial generation will grow up and find problems with the next generation. It’s inevitable. The way we grow and learn to value our ideals makes us weary of accepting new ones. It’s just human nature at work. I was actually suprised to hear the vast ammount of “negativity” towards our generation, in particular Mr. Bauerlein’s book The Dumbest Generation: How the Digital Age Stupefies Young Americans and Jeopardizes Our Future. Now I haven’t read the book, but as the title assumes, it catches the eye. So we’re dumb huh? I guess I’m a little offended. In watching my grandmother attempt to send an email, and watch youtube, I respectivley say, I think we’re actually kind of lucky. We’re all on the same page. 50 years ago, could you know what the President’s thoughts were on x,y and z in a second? Of course not. But now it’s all connected, and its all accessible. I can watch digital shorts from the Lumiere brothers studio from early film history on DVD…my grandmother can’t say that. We have access to so much history, we’re rich with it. I guess the counter-arguement is that most of us aren’t seeking it. Then I guess we’re lucky at Middlebury.

Yet Veronica would disagree. In fact she would probably have her dog try and bite. Why? Because she’s our teen hero. The kind of girl with the wit, AND BRAINS, I’d like to think I had in high school ( I wish). And the kind of girl that the network wants American girls to aspire to be: independent, and strong.  The female sleuth is certainly a unique spin in this regard. Her ability to whip resources out of thin air is quite something. And her maturity is truly inspiring; the fact that she’s able to tackle and uncover huge issues, such as rape, psychological problems, marital problems, and drugs even for a high schooler is a step in the smart direction.  As far as Veronica Mars is concerned, she has my vote.  She inspires me to get out and do something. Not too many serial narratives can do that.

One thought on “The “Accessible” Generation and Veronica Mars’ Smarts