Goodell’s $1 Salary

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6210012

No one thought it was possible.  Months after the rumors of a potential lockout began the day has finally come.  On Friday March 11, 2011 the NFLPA and the owners failed to reach an agreement on the new CBA.  The first work stoppage for the league since 1987 was underway.  I still personally believe an agreement will be reached before the season starts, no games will be missed and yet the effects of this lockout will forever be felt.  Pay cuts across the league are already being handed down.  The Commissioner, Roger Goodell, took an extreme pay cut; his previous salary of $10 Million a year including bonuses has been reduced to $1.  This to me is more of a publicity stunt than anything of substance.  Goodell has enough money that this pay cut will not affect his way of life.  The bigger concern is the league and team officials that are being forced to take cuts.  These employees did nothing wrong and had no say in the success of the CBA talks and yet they as bystanders are being affected by the selfishness of both sides.  This is a travesty but they are supposed to be reimbursed if no games are missed.  I hope this is the case.

I am excited to see what comes of the antitrust lawsuit filed by 10 players against the owners in a Minnesota federal court.  My feelings have not changed on the issues.  I am a fan of the game and of the sport.  I wish it was easy enough for these men to just play the game but unfortunately there is a business side that will always get in the way.  People react to incentives and money; hopefully both sides will reach an agreement before the season gets underway.  Currently the effects of this lockout are so widespread we cannot even begin to fully comprehend their vast implications.

Another interesting story line to follow is what the players do with their time off.  It is troubling to think about the trouble young adults with lots of money, no steady income, and unlimited time can get up to.  I hope that the two sides settle their differences quickly.  Otherwise the consequences could be severe.