Class, Culture, Representation

Week 2 Day 2 Discussion Question 2

| 2 Comments

In Hillbilly Elegy, J.D. Vance initially describes the white, Scots-Irish history and culture of Appalachia, and yet he downplays race and racism elsewhere in his memoir. For example, he discounts the link between race and poverty by asserting, “I have known many welfare queens, some were my neighbors; and all were white” (8). Elsewhere, he discounts racism in his discussion of anti-Obama conspiracy theories about Obama’s birth certificate and Muslim religion (190-193).

• First of all, what do you make of Vance’s discussion of a culturally distinct Scots-Irish heritage? How does that assertion support his cultural explanation for hillbillies’ impoverishment?
  • Secondly, what do you think of Vance’s use of the term “welfare queen” to describe his white neighbors? What does this terminology suggest about Vance’s overall view of welfare programs?
  • And thirdly, what do you make of Vance’s discussion of anti-Obama sentiment among some white Middletowners?

You need only address one of these questions in your response.

Author: Holly Allen

I am an Assistant Professor in the American Studies Program at Middlebury College. I teach courses on nineteenth- and twentieth-century U.S. cultural history, gender studies, disability, and consumer culture.

2 Comments

1. Awesome post Jessica.

Founder of High Class White Trash:

White Trash Hats

2. I think Vance’s discussion of anti-Obama sentiment among some white Middletowners is very interesting, but not all that surprising. Vance mentions how Obama’s election really tugged on Middletowners’ deepest insecurities and faults. It is a mix of Obama’s background, achievements and race that creates this anti-Obama sentiment. Obama is educated, successful and a good father – something many Middletowners are not and likely will never be, yet many Middletowners blame his race for their negative sentiments. Vance acknowledges this rationale, but it is his response that I find particularly powerful. He is fully aware that though difficult, upward mobility can be achieved for both white people and People of Color. Vance acknowledges that Obama may have come from a better background than many people in Middletown, but he too faced adversity. Further, Vance makes an important point when he talks about how not everyone in Middletown can blame Obama for their misfortunates. In many cases, people in Middletown have put themselves in a position that has hindered their success (ie., quitting their jobs) and that it was not Obama’s doing that they are now struggling. Vance reiterates this point by saying that many Middletowners try to place blame on anyone but themselves for their misfortunes and situations, which is a main part of their anti-Obama sentiment.